• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting in Berlin

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contracting in Berlin

Shall we go there contracting for the Win?

Berlin ready to lure tech firms after Brexit – POLITICO

Originally posted by KentDogWalker View Post
    Shall we go there contracting for the Win?

Berlin ready to lure tech firms after Brexit – POLITICO

Considering it already.

Cheap to live in (low rents, cheap food), friendly people (full of "alternative" Germans who don't like the Teutonic stereotype), excellent beer, plenty of tech jobs with English speaking companies.

What's not to like.

Comment

Originally posted by CretinWatcher View Post
      Considering it already.

Cheap to live in (low rents, cheap food), friendly people (full of "alternative" Germans who don't like the Teutonic stereotype), excellent beer, plenty of tech jobs with English speaking companies.

What's not to like.
      Loads of Polish women too ....

I'd go there at the drop of a hat !

Comment

Considering it already.

What's not to like.
        Sadly it seems to be full of hipster Brits who have put the rents up and then start complaining about that (although it does depend upon where you live in Berlin)
        Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
          Sadly it seems to be full of hipster Brits who have put the rents up and then start complaining about that (although it does depend upon where you live in Berlin)
          Aye I noticed that last year. They made me laugh with their beards and Apple laptops in cafes, pretending they're in startups, whereas in reality most are just middle class dropouts.
          Still they're harmless and no competition at all for serious tech jobs.

Comment

I would consider it ONLY if they would count us as Expats and not as Immigrants .
            We are special - arn't we? We are British.

Comment

Originally posted by Milkyway View Post
              I would consider it ONLY if they would count us as Expats and not as Immigrants .
              We are special - arn't we? We are British.
              Yes, they have two new categories for the British - Cretins and Chunts.

I will let sasguru define the categories.

Comment

Any advice on companies to approach in Berlin directly for frontend dev?
                If I'm on £500pd in London, can I hope for €700pd in Berlin?

Comment

Originally posted by KentDogWalker View Post
                  Any advice on companies to approach in Berlin directly for frontend dev?
                  If I'm on £500pd in London, can I hope for €700pd in Berlin?
                  I think rates and salaries are lower in Berlin, but you end up better off because you don't have to spend anywhere near London rents/mortgages.
                  DOn't know about front-end dev, I'm in a niche within a niche and I can find jobs there with my skill set, albeit permie.

Comment

What's not to like.
                    To answer my own question, it can be even greyer and bleaker (and much colder) than London in Winter.

Comment

Working...
                    X