• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

UK in Schengen?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UK in Schengen?

Was think about this over on my Swiss sojourn...

It seems (to me) more than likely given the rhetoric flying about that there's no stomach for long post Brexit deals/discussions/negotiations etc, and (to me) the Norway model looks on the cards. OK, fair enough, bit of a backwards step but still keeps the UK away from the Wilderness.

Now a large amount of Brexiters voted that way because of immigration and the especially I think because of the Turkey plan to allow Turks (and Syrian refugees taken in as part of their deal) Schengen access.

UK isn't in Schengen so it was an ungrounded fear but I'd need to research but I reckon the Norway model if it was adopted would mean the UK would have to join Schengen, really setting the cat (Syrians and Turks) amongst the pigeons (the 'Great' British).

Whoops again.

Lack of Shengen visas cost UK a lot of tourists from China who don't want to apply for separate visa.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      Lack of Shengen visas cost UK a lot of tourists from China who don't want to apply for separate visa.
      China citizens get two year visit visas now as default, saving a bit of hassle...

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post

It seems (to me) more than likely .. the Norway model looks on the cards. OK, fair enough, bit of a backwards step but still keeps the UK away from the Wilderness. ..
        That was very much on the cards until Boris Johnson bowed out, as he had stated he was firmly in favour of a Norwegian-style free trade deal.

Now a large amount of Brexiters voted that way because of immigration and the especially I think because of the Turkey plan to allow Turks (and Syrian refugees taken in as part of their deal) Schengen access.
        Absolutely, and that is why I think Gove stepped in, having failed to persuade Johnson to change his stance.

UK isn't in Schengen so it was an ungrounded fear but I'd need to research but I reckon the Norway model if it was adopted would mean the UK would have to join Schengen, really setting the cat (Syrians and Turks) amongst the pigeons (the 'Great' British). Whoops again.
        Not if Gove wins the leadership contest. He has mentioned something about "clean breaks" (or a similar phrase), which doubtless refers to this very issue.
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
          China citizens get two year visit visas now as default, saving a bit of hassle...
          You still have to apply for it separately and UK requirements typically harsher, easier to just go to Europe and ignore UK.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
            Not if Gove wins the leadership contest. He has mentioned something about "clean breaks" (or a similar phrase), which doubtless refers to this very issue.
            Loads of Tory members don't like Gove's style as he's p*ssed off teachers and the lawyers. If he hadn't p*ssed off lawyers, who are perceived to be Tory voters, then he would have been ok.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Schengen doesn't make any sense for an island nation but we could choose to honour schengen visas but keep passport controls.

I think we'll end up with some kind of immigration controls but not one that makes much practical difference; like being able to restrict net migration to 300,000 pa.
              Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                Loads of Tory members don't like Gove's style as he's p*ssed off teachers and the lawyers. If he hadn't p*ssed off lawyers, who are perceived to be Tory voters, then he would have been ok.
                And Tories (via Osborne) did not piss up wealthy people who always voted for them?

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                  Schengen doesn't make any sense for an island nation but we could choose to honour schengen visas but keep passport controls.

I think we'll end up with some kind of immigration controls but not one that makes much practical difference; like being able to restrict net migration to 300,000 pa.
                  Yup, that would have been great solution - this country is unique in it's position so border control should always be in place, that gives chance to reject any unwanted Shengen visa holders, only downside is that UK isn't getting money for visa, BUT the real issue isn't price per se - the hassle and wait that's the problem, so Shenden visa holders should be allowed as long as they pay say half UK visa price on entry.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                    Yup, that would have been great solution - this country is unique in it's position so border control should always be in place, that gives chance to reject any unwanted Shengen visa holders, only downside is that UK isn't getting money for visa, BUT the real issue isn't price per se - the hassle and wait that's the problem, so Shenden visa holders should be allowed as long as they pay say half UK visa price on entry.
                    While the EU rules say the Schengen Visa is free, most if not all States now charge a booking fee and/or a forced £1.80 a min appointment booking line that takes at least 10 mins to get through!

Comment

Working...
                    X