• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How green are you?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How green are you?

So who among you runs your PCs with solar power or a home turbine?

Is there anybody out there that's fused their IT knowledge with saving the planet?

How has your knowledge of climate change affected your political thinking?

Warning: answering any of the above questions may see you quoted on the CUK front page tomorrow.

Will Knight
    CUK journalist

I am designing a system that uses my flatulence to power my monitors.

If I could tap into my excess body fat I could power all my workstations and servers. Anyone got ideas on how to do that?
    Drivel is my speciality

Comment

I've got 3 machines but only use 1 monitor. Not a conscious decision to save on radiation poisoning but a practical one.
      Your parents ruin the first half of your life and your kids ruin the second half

Comment

I still disagree that humans are the evil causing the warming. I don't dispute that warming is happening but I haven't yet seen substantial evidence to prove it is unnatural.

I do try to get parts that use less energy, but that is to reduce my electricity bill, not to save the planet. Recycling is the way to go, not wind turbines which are a bloody eyesore and not that efficient anyway...

Comment

We've been getting rid of our "big iron" - desktops, CRTs - and have moved to laptops. The only real reason is to use less space, but they also suck less power so could be considered greener. This wasn't a deciding factor though.

As for recycling, we used to religiously do it, but where we live now is in a set of flats and all we get are 2 Biffa trade waste bins. No recycling bins anymore.
          Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
            I'm Green...
            I would love to see that quoted on the CUK front page tomorrow.
            Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy Bob
              We've been getting rid of our "big iron" - desktops, CRTs - and have moved to laptops. The only real reason is to use less space, but they also suck less power so could be considered greener. This wasn't a deciding factor though.

As for recycling, we used to religiously do it, but where we live now is in a set of flats and all we get are 2 Biffa trade waste bins. No recycling bins anymore.
              Still using my big old 19" CRT here. I'll switch to a 20+" flat panel when they can handle a suitably high resolution. Generally why are flat panel monitors not able to hit the same high resolutions as thier CRT/Laptop equivalents.

My wifes 19" flat panel can only do 1280*768 wheras my 15.4" laptop can do something silly like 1900*1200 and my CRT happily does 1600*1200 at 100Hz. To encourage us to ditch our clunky old CRT's manufacturers need to start updating standard LCD's a bit IMHO.

Comment

No he can't - the maximum feasable at that res is 1280x768 if you ask me!

I have a thing for "green energy". If I could afford solar power, I'd use it.

At the moment, I have low power TFTs where possible running in green mode and I have GE energy bulbs. I turn stuff off completely at night as well (unless I'm leeching).

The only problem that remains is that it's not helping the environment one little bit! Simply because 90% of the stuff our council shifts for recycling is sold to Bywaters who just dump it in a land fill.
                Serving religion with the contempt it deserves...

Comment

Right now my 4X4 is sitting in the drive giving off no emissions whatsoever.

Comment

I have a hybrid car. I currently save the planet whilst driving and pay less tax as well. A truly win-win situation...

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Working...
                    X