• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Self-billing outside UK

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Self-billing outside UK

Hi,

I have a question about self-invoicing outside UK.

I have a Limited company which is engaging the services of a consultant based in India. In order to make things easier, we want to use self-billing (Create invoices on their behalf).

I found some information online that shows that self-billing itself is possible and legal, but it always mentions VAT. So I was wondering if self-billing is maybe only allowed when VAT has to be charged.

Does anyone ever used self-billing outside UK?

Regards,
    John.

Originally posted by john9456 View Post
    Hi,

I have a Limited company which is engaging the services of a consultant based in India. In order to make things easier, we want to use self-billing (Create invoices on their behalf).

I found some information online that shows that self-billing itself is possible and legal, but it always mentions VAT. So I was wondering if self-billing is maybe only allowed when VAT has to be charged.
    Seems an odd question.
    Assuming you are selling services in the UK you charge your customer VAT.

And you pay your man in India by whatever method he wants (and is legal). And depending on Indian law will determine if he has to charge you any sales tax or not.

If he won't create invoices for you then I guess you can create your own, but if you get investigated you may struggle to prove you've not just sent the money to India and then transferred it back evading tax. Of course you wouldn't do that as you're asking an honest and genuine question aren't you?

I wouldn't pay anyone that I couldn't prove existed so I'd want them to invoice me.
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Thanks for your answer. Yes, this is an honest question. If one wanted to make a fake invoice, what prevents them from doing a fake invoice in the name of the contractor anyway?

I can show email and Skype chat as a proof.

Comment

Working...
      X