• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Osborne abandones proficit target

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Osborne abandones proficit target

Osborne abandons 2020 budget surplus target - BBC News

He won't be reducing taxes though!!!

Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Osborne abandons 2020 budget surplus target - BBC News

He won't be reducing taxes though!!!
    No he won't, because it's very likely he won't be in a position to do so in a month or two. He might be allowed to sit next to his mate Dave on the backbenches, but from then on it's "To Obscurity, and Beyond" (with apologies to Buzz Lightyear).
    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Caught a bit of Newsnight last night (I know, when other time would I have) and they had that Paul Mason fellow on (previously economic news editor I think) and he was on about how the government should reduce business taxes and take initiative down that road to encourage more business in the UK while it's at risk of fleeing abroad.

So sounds like there are others with a similar ideas of making the UK more attractive for business that are closer to government than we are.

Zero corp tax for next two years sounds better than QE 250 billion, if it all comes down to increasing debt to support the economy one way or another during these uncertain times.
      Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Osborne aligning himself with May?
        Still worked out for him, he can blame his failures on Brexit now
        The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post

Zero corp tax for next two years sounds better than QE 250 billion, if it all comes down to increasing debt to support the economy one way or another during these uncertain times.
          Sounds good, although it won't half increase their incentive to bolster and enforce IR35
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
            Sounds good, although it won't half increase their incentive to bolster and enforce IR35

It's all peanuts when you consider (according to wikipedia) they only receive around 40 billion a year via corp tax.

Just print it instead of chasing the small money. Then all those HMRC employees can be restructured into FTC burger flippers. Win win.

We'll pay it via VAT and the other taxes by spending it in the economy instead of giving directly to the government. They get it all in the end.
            Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Working...
            X