• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Official - Brexit: Osborne pledges to cut corporation tax

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Official - Brexit: Osborne pledges to cut corporation tax

George Osborne has pledged to slash corporation tax to encourage businesses to still invest in the UK following the EU referendum vote.

In an interview with the Financial Times, the chancellor said he would cut the rate to below 15% - some 5% lower than its current 20% rate.

That would give the UK the lowest corporation tax of any major economy.

Mr Osborne said the cut was part of his plans to build a "super competitive economy" with low tax rates.

A Treasury spokesperson confirmed the Financial Times' story was correct, but said they did not know when the cut would happen.

In March, the chancellor said corporation tax would fall to 17% by 2020.

Source: Brexit: Osborne pledges to cut corporation tax - BBC News

I bet it's going to be by 2025 and only if he is elected
    Last edited by AtW; 3 July 2016, 18:10.

Brexit: Osborne pledges to cut corporation tax

Brexit: Osborne pledges to cut corporation tax - BBC News

Comment

KUATB

http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...ation-tax.html

Comment

You only beat him by 3 minutes atW!

Admittedly, any CUKer should know that anything to do with Ozbum will be instantly reported by you. Or does your Majestic thing automatically monitor the net for any news about him and post an automated adverse comment?

PS I still haven't managed to get Cortana to swear.
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
          Admittedly, any CUKer should know that anything to do with Ozbum will be instantly reported by you. Or does your Majestic thing automatically monitor the net for any news about him and post an automated adverse comment?
          I sensed the disturbance in the force...

I reckon he knicked the idea from me postings on here last week

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
            I sensed the disturbance in the force...

I reckon he knicked the idea from me postings on here last week
            The sort of people that "knick" ideas from you alexei don't generally have access to the internet........or anything sharper than a spoon for that matter.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Wow! I did not see that coming. This is surely music to the ears of most LTD company contractors here ?
              Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
                Wow! I did not see that coming. This is surely music to the ears of most LTD company contractors here ?
                No doubt it will be accompanied by the dividend tax rate going up to 12.5%
                Taking a break from contracting

Comment

This isn't really too surprising. It was also being advocated by the Sunday Times today in their Blueprint for Brexit, and it's part of a broader direction of travel.

What's also part of a broader direction of travel is increasing tax on payments made by companies to their shareholders. This is all perfectly fine and sensible AFAIC (i.e. moving from CT to taxing payments). However, don't think for a minute this somehow implies a lower overall tax burden for contractors, because it doesn't. Whether they increase the dividend tax, develop a look-through structure for small businesses, or implement something else to tax payments to shareholders, it's only going to accelerate with a reduction in CT. We won't be better off. On the contrary.

Hey ho, I'm not contracting for tax perks.

Comment

It's easier now to increase tax on dividends, hopefully not because he already increased it a lot

Comment

Working...
                    X