• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Well he is well shot of her

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well he is well shot of her

Wife fights for share of ex's £175,000 payout for child abuse: Estranged partner could make legal history after arguing money is a marital asset

An estranged wife is trying to claim part of the £175,000 compensation her husband received for suffering sexual abuse as a child.As part of her divorce settlement, Helen Tippett, 41, has applied to the courts for a share of the cash paid to Andrew Kerslake.Mr Kerslake, 45, regarded the compensation as ‘dirty money’ and put it into a trust to be given to charity when he dies.But Miss Tippett claims the money is a marital asset and wants her share of it. It is believed legal history will be made if the courts find in her favour.
    Nice wonder why they divorced?
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

If he wants it to go to charity, he should just hand it over.

She will get half. It is a marital asset.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      If he wants it to go to charity, he should just hand it over.

She will get half. It is a marital asset.
      I think sadly you're right. They'll see it as a marital asset and she can go and buy her house knowing it came from a five year old who had been raped.

Classy.
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

So why didnt he just give it straight to charity when he had it?

Any women out there who wouldnt try and get at this money? ;-)
        Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Ah hes from Pontypridd.....

Something not quite right here I think though. Still cant see why he didnt just give it to charity straight off the bat?

Wouldnt be using this trust thing as an excuse to try and hide the money from the ex-mrs would he? Now that would be even worse?

Now if it all 100% true then she should be ashamed but how far do you take it? Granny dies 5 years previously and leaves £10K. Should that be exempt from any divorce because it was your granny?

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
            Ah hes from Pontypridd.....

Something not quite right here I think though. Still cant see why he didnt just give it to charity straight off the bat?

Wouldnt be using this trust thing as an excuse to try and hide the money from the ex-mrs would he? Now that would be even worse?

Now if it all 100% true then she should be ashamed but how far do you take it? Granny dies 5 years previously and leaves £10K. Should that be exempt from any divorce because it was your granny?
            I suspect he received the money and she said 'I want half of that' before he gave it to charity. His lawyer then advised him to put it in trust in case she actually won.

Why would hiding the money given to him as compensation for his suffering as a child from his ex wife be even worse than her wanting it?

I think divorce laws need a bit of work, I'm all for compensating the weaker partner for loss of earnings or supporting your kids but the idea the ex should maintain their lifestyle to the same level as if they were married to their exceptionally successful partners seems unreasonable. Its a bit like resigning from a perfectly good job, sueing an your employer for unfair dismissal and then saying they should pay you for the rest of your life.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
              I suspect he received the money and she said 'I want half of that' before he gave it to charity. His lawyer then advised him to put it in trust in case she actually won.

Why would hiding the money given to him as compensation for his suffering as a child from his ex wife be even worse than her wanting it?

I think divorce laws need a bit of work, I'm all for compensating the weaker partner for loss of earnings or supporting your kids but the idea the ex should maintain their lifestyle to the same level as if they were married to their exceptionally successful partners seems unreasonable. Its a bit like resigning from a perfectly good job, sueing an your employer for unfair dismissal and then saying they should pay you for the rest of your life.
              Depends when he got given the money. Wasnt he married at that point I assume?

Ok not worse but if hes somehow bent the truth about this then its a bit off to play the "this is my money due to my suffering" card when theres more to it.

Divorce laws are crap I agree. I've had mates done like a kipper. Wife has decided she wants a divorce, within weeks shes got some other mug in tow. Then wants half the money as well. Im sorry but if you walk away then you should lose any claim.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                I think divorce laws need a bit of work
                No. People need to realize that marriage is not a good plan financially. The lawyers need to be kept out.

And the courts might actually implement the 1989 Children Act.

Comment

Working...
                X