• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

DOOM™

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DOOM™

Brace yourself for the toxic mix of falling interest rates and a spike in inflation

The financial mayhem predicted by the Remain side if Leave won has not, so far at least, come to pass. But savers should take note of one consequence of the vote.

I’m thinking of inflation. One expected result of a Brexit decision was a fall in the value of the pound, which has now duly declined by about 10pc. This will in time mean that we pay more for imported goods, putting pressure on inflation.

The consensus of City economists seems to be that the consumer prices index will reach 3pc within a year or so.

Now both a weaker pound and inflation have their advantages – the fall in sterling will help our exporters, while rising prices are to be welcomed if they ward off deflation, which is regarded as far more dangerous to the economy.

But pensioners in particular will not welcome inflation. Many live on incomes that are at least partly fixed (although, as I wrote here before the vote, I think the “triple lock” on annual increases in the state pension is safe for the moment) and so will see their living standards eroded by any inflation"

More from ToryGraph: Brace yourself for the toxic mix of falling interest rates and a spike in inflation*

Well, they voted for Brexit, so time to pay for it.

I am sure our increased exports will soon make up for it.....

Comment

That only means that we will see new highs on the stock market. My boots are filled so it's welcome..

Comment

Knee deep in the dead.....

Comment

But pensioners in particular will not welcome inflation. Many live on incomes that are at least partly fixed
          Indeed, but I'd rather see a reduction in my income than carry on in the EU as it is. Anyway, I'm still so incredibly handsome I can always go back to being a rent boy.
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

In any case, do a Google of "currency fluctuation euro" the pound is still worth more relative to the Euro than it has been at times during the last 5 years. Not just our currency that's struggling.
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
              In any case, do a Google of "currency fluctuation euro" the pound is still worth more relative to the Euro than it has been at times during the last 5 years.
              WAT?
              GBP/EUR:1.19501 low:1.11231 high:1.44072

for 5 Y
              its closer to low than high now...

Comment

Indeed, but I'd rather see a reduction in my income than carry on in the EU as it is. Anyway, I'm still so incredibly handsome I can always go back to being a rent boy.
                You might just get what you've asked for...

Comment

Jeremy, there's no call for rent men.....

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post

Brace yourself for the toxic mix of falling interest rates and a spike in inflation
                    Why in the present circumstances does a bit of inflation spell doom? It's more like a slight reprieve from this horror barreling towards us!

2016-07-04 Deflation Is Blowing In On An Eastern Trade Wind

Probably within a year or so Brexit will look more and more inviting simply as a way to deliberately weaken the pound and stave off deflation!

Last edited by OwlHoot; 4 July 2016, 16:48.
                    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                    X