• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Expenses incurred beofre company formation

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Expenses incurred beofre company formation

Recently and whilst still in the land of being a permy, I spent money on some training materials and exams to reinforce my CV prior to making the plunge into contracting. Now that I'm up and running is it too late to count this as a business expense? It was genuinely and solely incurred to facilitate the rise into contractorhood, and was unrelated to my previous role.

TIA!
    Last edited by Yatesy; 31 October 2006, 13:50.

I did a thead on this a while back, search for threads started by me and you'll find it.

My accountants advice was I could could my PRINCE2 training as a business expense but I should put it through in my second VAT return so its looks less usspect.

Comment

Thanks SP, I'll have a chat to my accountant about it. It's not the end of the world if I can't claim it, but I paid it out of my own pocket so it would be nice to get the relief on it!

Comment

I was under the impresion, from a number of discussions here a while back, that training was not claimable as a business expense or against VAT. I'm not an accountant though. Can anyone give us a definitive answer?
        "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

From my understaning (and that ain't definitive by any means) it depends on IR35 status.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB
            I was under the impresion, from a number of discussions here a while back, that training was not claimable as a business expense or against VAT. I'm not an accountant though. Can anyone give us a definitive answer?
            There is a discussion on this matter over on S99

http://www.shout99.com/contractors/s...le.pl?id=40165

You have to be able to prove that the training was wholly required for your current business and not purely to gain future business.

Although I don't agree with the advice.

Comment

And as I've said before, you can claim as much as you like on anything you like. However, if it's not business related, you treat it as personal income and pay tax accordingly.

Training costs inside IR35 are one of the real irritations. Basically, the 5% is meant to cover it (yeah, right), you can't offset it against your deemed salary.
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife
                There is a discussion on this matter over on S99

http://www.shout99.com/contractors/s...le.pl?id=40165

You have to be able to prove that the training was wholly required for your current business and not purely to gain future business.

Although I don't agree with the advice.
                Yes, I see what you mean. Is it the company benefitting from it or you personally? Is it something you need in order to perform your current duties as an employee or not? If Hector decides it's personal benefit or not related to your current duties then it goes on your P11D and get taxed.

I'm not sure I agree with the advice, to try it on and see what happens, either. Too much chance of it raising eyebrows and leading to a fuller investigation I would have thought.
                "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Malvolio, I don't have a problem with the concept of what can be claimed or can't, if you spend money solely for your business and can support it then the expense is claimable, without BIK thats fine. My questions was whether an expense claimed prior to company formation is submittable or is it just tough luck then?

Comment

Originally posted by Yatesy
                    Malvolio, I don't have a problem with the concept of what can be claimed or can't, if you spend money solely for your business and can support it then the expense is claimable, without BIK thats fine. My questions was whether an expense claimed prior to company formation is submittable or is it just tough luck then?

If it a legit bus expense incurred prior to formation then it is expensable (sp?) There is a time limit but it's pretty big (2 years IIRC?)

IANAA etc.

Comment

Working...
                    X