• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Calais jungle camp to move to Dover

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Calais jungle camp to move to Dover

Looks like the Calais jungle camp will be moving to Dover after the French elections.

French presidential frontrunner Alain Juppé calls to end Le Touquet agreement and place border with UK on British soil | UK Politics | News | The Independent
    I'm alright Jack

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    Why would it move to Dover?

Once they are over here they will just find somewhere to live...
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Yes you're probably right, they'll just disperse.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
        Yes you're probably right, they'll just disperse.
        Great.

London and Slough will just get more crowded.

I think I should let my shed out...
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Why do you assume they would be let across the border at all?

Comment

Easy to stop overnight..

Andrea Leadsom: Any migrant deemed to have arrived from France will only be able to claim 30% of the benefit levels offered by France for the first 10 years of their residence in UK
            Liberal Elite: You can't do that - it's against EU law
            Andrea Leadsom: EU law means nothing to us. We make the rules now, we run this b**ch, we're the daddy
            Economic Migrant At Calais: Sod that for a game of soldiers, I'm staying in France. Might go to Germany or Sweden as they offer better benefits.

Comment

If they come through the tunnel just do what the french do, pop them on the next train back to the last country they passed through.
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Passport control France to UK has been in France since Eurotunnel started operating. Similarly, passport control UK to France has been on the UK side. Eurotunnel is politically a sensitive issue for the French, as there are very many French shareholders with small holdings. France won't do anything to upset them.

So that won't change.

Touquet is the establishment of immigration controls into the UK on French soil, and controls into Schengen area on UK soil - it concerns Eurostar and the ferries. If that's abolished, immigrants from France will be checked on arrival. Under the Dublin regulation, if an individual was registered for asylum already in another country (they're fingerprinted on registration, and the database is shared), they can be sent back to that other country. Two problems.

1. It's EU law - Britain won't necessarily be party to it
                2. The country of first registration has to agree to take the person back
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                  Why would it move to Dover?
                  Because once we're out of the EU, the French are not going to quietly let all the Brexit refugees through the tunnel.

Comment

Originally posted by GB9 View Post
                    Why do you assume they would be let across the border at all?
                    Assuming they can find the money for the ticket, who's going to stop them?

BTW the tunnel terminal isn't in Dover. It's in Folkestone.
                    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
                    X