• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Things I didn't know until today.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Things I didn't know until today.

Don't grind aluminium on a bench grinder.

Bench grinder and Aluminum?

For dear old Freako, this relates to the inadvisability of grinding aluminium (or even aluminum) on a bench grinder in case it kills you.

Sounds like it blocks the grinding wheel with swarf.

Much the same as it blocks files.

It takes a lot of heat to get the thermite reaction going which is why they set it off using magnesium.
    Last edited by zeitghost; 9 June 2017, 10:40.

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post

For dear old Freako, this relates to the inadvisability of grinding aluminium (or even aluminum) on a bench grinder in case it kills you.
    Was an interesting article on the front page about how Steinway ordered a custom CNC machine to make their pianos.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Interesting -

third I have heard that if grind aluminum and then iron you can potentially have a fire due to the reaction between them.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Funny how it's more difficult to cut or grind aluminium or copper than steel although steel is a lot harder.
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

I thought the thermite reaction needed a fair sized pile of finely ground and well mixed aluminium and iron.

Wouldn't have thought the residue on a grinder would be much of a risk, nor swarf or shavings unless you let it build up too much, but then that's a fire risk even with wood shavings.
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

And it will have to stay a mystery for me as the clients system says this blocked as it is deemed illegal. Looks like another trip to the client manager to explain what random rubbish I've been looking at on the internet again.

That said he actually quite enjoys the Monday Links that get blocked and I have to report so maybe he'll like this one.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              And it will have to stay a mystery for me as the clients system says this blocked as it is deemed illegal. Looks like another trip to the client manager to explain what random rubbish I've been looking at on the internet again.

That said he actually quite enjoys the Monday Links that get blocked and I have to report so maybe he'll like this one.
              Isn't 'Grinder' already a safe word for your account?

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost

A site about using a bench grinding wheel blocked.

Then again the Tektronix site was blocked at "work" when I started there.

And the "Analog Devices" IC site is blocked in lots of places.
                You can always get your powdered aluminium from an etch-a-sketch...

See youtube for details...

Comment

I still remember the look of utter bemusement on ppk's face when I told him that the browser compatibility tables at Compatibility overview had been blocked by a client's filter for being a "Dating" site

That was the same client that blocked Sam Ruby's Sam Ruby for "Criminal Skills and Hacking"

Comment

You have to report if you click on a link and its blocked???
                    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X