• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

My radiators

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My radiators

Since we moved into Benger towers in 09, we've always had problems with our heating. Elderly Gloworm boiler, and intermittent faults with the radiators. Several plumbers have mentioned the system is on it's last legs, and is heavily sludged. One plumber said that my radiators were only working at 25% efficiency. How do they measure this?

So I got a quote for power flushing. £450. So I looked into hiring a power flushing unit for the weekend. £160 + VAT + chemicals.

So I shopped around on ebay and got a second hand one for £141 (winning bid) which came with 2 bottles of Fernox, a bottle of Powerflush cleaner, a bottle of leak fixing stuff (around £80 worth).

And I've been at it for 3 solid days now. I'm on the penultimate rad.

I'm going to fit one of these

So there you have it, sometimes bleeding the radiators isn't enough. Once this is done I expect the contract market to pick up.
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

They probably test by feeling the radiator at the top and bottom and at the incoming and outgoing valves. Any difference in temperature and the fact the radiator isn't as hot as the settings the boiler will tell you it's not operating properly. The actual number he quoted is probably made up.

I've used the radiator flushes and the are ok to a point. They can help but if the system is that bad you are better off taking them off and emptying/cleaning them out properly, running it and doing it again.

Pointless doing it by halves with a crappy boiler as you are just throwing good money after bad.

Get a new boiler, get the radiators off and do it properly IMO. If it's as bad as you say it will pay for itself in the short to medium term.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
      ...Once this is done I expect the contract market to pick up.
      Yep. Once all the Poles are deported, you'll be able to fill the gap.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Anyone tried fitting thermostatic on-off valves to individual radiators? Are they any good?

I gather some (the cheaper ones, or maybe the opposite, the fancy electronic ones?) can hum constantly, which is not what one needs when trying to sleep.

They are fitted in place of the radiator tap, and I think most work by a thermally expanding ring of rubber or something similar that effectively turns off tha radiator, or slows the water flow, when the room temperature goes above a certain value.
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          They probably test by feeling the radiator at the top and bottom and at the incoming and outgoing valves. Any difference in temperature and the fact the radiator isn't as hot as the settings the boiler will tell you it's not operating properly. The actual number he quoted is probably made up.

I've used the radiator flushes and the are ok to a point. They can help but if the system is that bad you are better off taking them off and emptying/cleaning them out properly, running it and doing it again.

Pointless doing it by halves with a crappy boiler as you are just throwing good money after bad.

Get a new boiler, get the radiators off and do it properly IMO. If it's as bad as you say it will pay for itself in the short to medium term.
          What does this entail?

Comment

What does this entail?
            Calling someone that knows what they are doing
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Calling someone that knows what they are doing
              Wash your mouth out sir. It's not the suity way

There was a small explosion in the loft this afternoon and a shedload of water came out the overflow and soaked me in the garden sitting on my patio chair. Naturally I commented on this on Facebook and one of my FB buddies compared me to Frank Spencer

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                Anyone tried fitting thermostatic on-off valves to individual radiators? Are they any good?

I gather some (the cheaper ones, or maybe the opposite, the fancy electronic ones?) can hum constantly, which is not what one needs when trying to sleep.

They are fitted in place of the radiator tap, and I think most work by a thermally expanding ring of rubber or something similar that effectively turns off tha radiator, or slows the water flow, when the room temperature goes above a certain value.
                My plumber(s) fitted them.

They don't hum and some of my radiators and their valves are 30 years old.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  My plumber(s) fitted them.

They don't hum
                  and some of my radiators and their valves are 30 years old.
                  On reading twice ..

Comment

Wash your mouth out sir. It's not the suity way
                    Are Benger towers insured?

Comment

Working...
                    X