• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

My New Contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My New Contract

Isnt Crystal Reports. It's bloody Business Objects & Siebel. Grrrrreeaaaattt.
    Worst job spec in history - nowhere close!

Ordered a book for immediate delivery tomorrow, gonna sit in the toilet tomorrow reading up!!!

This one's a stretch and no mistake!!!!
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Originally posted by MarillionFan
    Isnt Crystal Reports. It's bloody Business Objects & Siebel. Grrrrreeaaaattt.
    Worst job spec in history - nowhere close!

Ordered a book for immediate delivery tomorrow, gonna sit in the toilet tomorrow reading up!!!

This one's a stretch and no mistake!!!!
    And they never mentioned it in the interview?
    Life is just nature's way of keeping meat fresh

Comment

Isn't

Yawn

P.S. Sub-contract it to threaded if you can't hack it.

Comment

"And they never mentioned it in the interview? "

Nope. They told me Crystal Reports & SQL Server. And they've sprung 'support' on a saturday morning FFS.

Comment

I thought Business Objects was a "version" of Crystal... isernt it?

Comment

"I thought Business Objects was a "version" of Crystal... isernt it?"

Crystal Reports has always primarily been a reporting tool off relational databases. Billing, invoices, simple graphs etc. Started by Seagate Software, then Crystal Decisions it was purchased by Business Objects(A French company) a few years ago.

Business objects sits in the middle. It uses it's own 'universes' which are really just a combination of star schema and aggregrate tables and allows analysis of relational dbs through it's crunched universes.

Cognos,Proclarity are the analysis monkeys, working off huge datasets built normally off OLAP cubes etc.

So three levels. I do all three levels, but primarily CR.

Needless to say it's all MIS & BI.

hth

Comment

Methinks you'll be needing that CV again sometime soon...
              His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Well, I'll see this one out for the rest of the year.
                But it's been a little mis-sold.

Comment

Good luck, MF. There are some pre-built Siebel reports within Crystal/BO, but Siebel does have it's own BI product which is designed to utilise the existing Siebel security architecture. Designing BI/MI type reporting directly from Siebel is a P-I-G. I've have done it with SAS, but it was messy.

I'm on hand to help out if you want to PM me.
                  Illegitimus non carborundum est!

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac
                    Methinks you'll be needing that CV again sometime soon...
                    But when you do, it'll have BO & Siebel on it

I had one agent a few years ago tell me that if someone had 6 months Siebel he'd put them in as a senior consultant.

PS get a copy of Siebel Bookshelf on CD for yourself, and get a login for Siebel Support Web (read-only is OK - installations normally have one that they share, sometimes change pwd from time to time so if you trip across a 2nd, remember it too). Those are the 2 places that you find the info you need.

Comment

Working...
                    X