• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

First contract: opting in or opting out from Employment Agencies Act

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First contract: opting in or opting out from Employment Agencies Act

Hi all
    i just got my first contract for a big bank.
    Agency asked me to choose to opt in or opt out from Employment Agencies Act....
    i have done some quick research and it seems that opting out is better if you want to work outside IR35

Is that true?
    What do IT contractor choose normally? opting in or out?
    kind regards
    marco

Originally posted by MmarcoM View Post
    Hi all
    i have done some quick research and it seems that opting out is better if you want to work outside IR35

Is that true?
    kind regards
    marco
    Opt in but the agent will make you jump through hoops to disuade you since it protects you and exposes him.

Comment

Go look in the professional forums. There is a very long sticked thread all about opt in/out.

Gotta do a bit better than this.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Just opt out of IR35 and then you needn't worry

Comment

Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
          Don't be silly. It's AWR you need to opt out of.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Don't be silly. It's AWR you need to opt out of.
            It's so confusing. If only there was a sticky in the professional forums and a grumpy northern chunt to direct people there...

Comment

It's so confusing. If only there was a sticky in the professional forums and a grumpy northern chunt to direct people there...
              Wouldn't that be useful!

Comment

I would not recommend that because then the agent won’t supply a company car. He would only receive Luncheon Vouchers
                "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by MmarcoM View Post
                  Hi all

Is that true?
                  kind regards
                  marco
                  If the client is a "big bank" the chances of you actually being outside IR35 probably just fell through a big hole in the floor. Opting out tends to be the default position, but as the most learned on here will always tell you, any advice you get for free is not worth the paper it's not written on. Good luck though.
                  His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

If a contractor does not opt out of the Conduct regulations this could have a knock-on effect form an IR35 perspective. Opting in to the regulations suggests that the contractor is working under the control of the end client which would be deemed as a pointer towards employment. Additionally opting in guarantees payment from the agency even if the agency aren’t paid by their client. A contractor should have an element of financial risk as this is a helpful pointer towards being in business.

From an IR35 perspective opting out of the Conduct Regulations is a much more consistent approach for those running their own business, but ultimately ‘opting in or out’ is unlikely to determine your IR35 status in isolation.

Jon
                    Qdos Contractor - IR35 experts

Comment

Working...
                    X