• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Question about government contracts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about government contracts

Cheers all,

I am a student in the United States studying the Government of the UK. I am trying to figure out the best way to aquire a government contract assuming I was a citizen of London.

For example, Lets say I am a poor carpenter living in London. I am also a member of a trade union but am trying to make more money. How would I go about getting a government contract to build a building for the Ministry of Trasport?

Would I attempt to use my trade union to lobby the Ministry of trasport? or is there a way I as an individual could lobby for the particular contract?

Thanks a alot, I have been looking at this question for awhile now and can't seem to get past it because I am split on using the union to lobby on my behalf in an attempt to get the contract, or I am thinking there might be a way where I can bypass the union all together and do myself.

Regardless, I look forward to your replies.

-sb

sbrad

The government procurement process in the Uk is skewed against individuals and small companies. Not sure a trade union lobby would curry much favour with the current government or any government for that matter.

Check out the OGC
    Sola gratia

Sola fide

Soli Deo gloria

Comment

Originally posted by Chico
      sbrad

The government procurement process in the Uk is skewed against individuals and small companies.
      It seems to me that this is especially true of the current government, whose ministers are often from a background in consultancy companies, and who naturally believe that the way for an individual to work is not as an independent but as an employee of a consultancy.

Comment

Unlike the US, there is little to no advantage to a private individual joining a union. Other than in the public services (i.e. state employees, certain transport utilities, local government), the unions have little say in procurement decisions. They largely fund the political party currently in power and have 1/3 of the votes in party decisions, but that has little impact in day-to-day running of the government.

Comment

I looked at the OGC and it can see how it works generally, however this assignment asks me to respond to the specific sceniero as if I am the individual. So far I don't see how a poor carpenter would acquire a contract from the Ministry of Transportation. How would he "bid" on the contract? Do jobs becomes available frequently and is there a place, I as a carpenter, could go to bid on various contracts? I guess union lobbying is not the answer, this is good to know becuase I was thinking of attempting that approach. What about a private members' bill? would that be helpful?

thanks again?

-sb

Comment

ask the government. I'm sure they'll tell you the truth...

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

I suspect your only option would be as a sub-contractor to the large organisation that has greased the palms of appropriate party members.
              Your parents ruin the first half of your life and your kids ruin the second half

Comment

Originally posted by sbrad09
                I looked at the OGC and it can see how it works generally, however this assignment asks me to respond to the specific sceniero as if I am the individual. So far I don't see how a poor carpenter would acquire a contract from the Ministry of Transportation. How would he "bid" on the contract? Do jobs becomes available frequently and is there a place, I as a carpenter, could go to bid on various contracts? I guess union lobbying is not the answer, this is good to know becuase I was thinking of attempting that approach. What about a private members' bill? would that be helpful?

thanks again?

-sb
                In my local area they advertise what contracts are up for tender but I do not know of any sole trader or small company actually getting one. As already stated to get on one of these contracts you'll probally have to whore yourself to the big boys.
                Saying that there is no reason you couldn't tender but they will probally request a full set off accounts before they seriously consider you. They will have to know that you are financially as well as capable of doing the relevant contract.

So in probability you would not be able to get one of these jobs. You could try bribery if you desperately wanted too!!!!

Comment

I am being asked a thought question where I have to respond to the following:

"You are a working class carpenter and a citizen of London. Your income level is so low you live with your mother in law. You are a member of a trade union. you need to increase your income. You need to get a government contract to build a building for the Ministry of Trasport.

Provide an action plan for each of the following:

How to secure the contract.

This must include specific actions and titles of government, party, trade union officials that were involved in the successful completion of this task.

Is a private members' bill passed by the House of Commons necessary
                  List the support necessary to get the contract.

Comment

Have you thought about contacting the ministry they will know what you need to do and how!

Comment

Working...
                    X