• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Second Referendum To Be Debated

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Second Referendum To Be Debated

Brexit: Second EU referendum petition to be debated by MPs | Politics | News | London Evening Standard

This will open up all sorts of issues if Parliament decides to have a second referendum - what if the vote is now for Remain - what if Brexit wins again - who will be in which camp now - will Farage and Boris re-appear - will there be a petition for a third referendum ? etc etc

Fine to debate it in the spirit of democracy but heaven help if it is agreed to run it again, as it wrong in so many ways.

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
    Brexit: Second EU referendum petition to be debated by MPs | Politics | News | London Evening Standard

This will open up all sorts of issues if Parliament decides to have a second referendum - what if the vote is now for Remain - what if Brexit wins again - who will be in which camp now - will Farage and Boris re-appear - will there be a petition for a third referendum ? etc etc

Fine to debate it in the spirit of democracy but heaven help if it is agreed to run it again, as it wrong in so many ways.
    God help us...
    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

The Neverendum.

What a load of rubbish. Can't wait for the riots outside of London if that goes ahead. Democracy until it suits.
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

That's funny because I read not the other day that it would not be debated.

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post

This will open up all sorts of issues if Parliament decides to have a second referendum [...]
          It won't. It's just a meaningless debate, probably not even with a lot of MPs present.

Originally posted by linked article
          The spokesman also pointed out that the debate, which will take place on September 5, does not have the power to change the law and will not end with the Commons deciding whether or not to have a second referendum
          They have to debate it, because the number of required signatures for the petition to be discussed in the Commons was exceeded. That doesn't mean that anything will come out of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Phil Rouge View Post
            It was position of the Govt who rejected the petition, but the MPs can and should still debate since the petition reached the threshold for it, otherwise it's not a democracy but a sham...

Comment

Originally posted by Phil Rouge View Post

I think they have to if more than 100,000 people sign the referendum. But does that include hordes of foreign people, kids, bots, and multiple signers?

Even in the unlikely event there was a second referendum, I doubt many leavers would change their minds, out of indignation as much as anything, and seeing the result was not at all apocalyptic, contrary to what they had been led to believe, some Remainers might vote the other way. So bring it on, if they insist!
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Getting the required number of signatures means it is a candidate for debate.

If it is debated I expect something along the lines of ' do we want a further referendum?', 'Feck , no'.

Next.

Comment

The entire petitions thing is a farce. They are an utterly pointless gesture to the make the public think they have any influence over parliament.
                  England's greatest sailor since Nelson lost the armada.

Comment

Could someone remind me who created this petition?

Comment

Working...
                    X