• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The magic fire that won't go out

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The magic fire that won't go out

So we had the gardeners in yesterday to prune the overgrown trees, shrubs, hedges, laurel etc.
    And they made a fire to burn the garden waste (garden is large and adjoins other large gardens, so smoke not an issue).
    Then it rained quite heavily last night - I'd assumed that would put it out.
    And today I found the fire still going! So I took advantage and added some more wet garden waste on it.
    But its crackling away like a good 'un - Don't know how I could put it out even I wanted to.
    What sort of accelerant did the fookers use, I wonder.

It'll be the dead stalks from your Japanese Knot Weed.
    When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by CretinWatcher View Post

Diesel.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Have you drilled for oil recently? May be worth a go.

Comment

So we had the gardeners in yesterday to prune the overgrown trees, shrubs, hedges, laurel etc.
          And they made a fire to burn the garden waste (garden is large and adjoins other large gardens, so smoke not an issue).
          Then it rained quite heavily last night - I'd assumed that would put it out.
          And today I found the fire still going! So I took advantage and added some more wet garden waste on it.
          But its crackling away like a good 'un - Don't know how I could put it out even I wanted to.
          Try urinating on it.

Comment

Originally posted by GB9 View Post
            Have you drilled for oil recently? May be worth a go.
            Oil has been found a few miles from here as it goes (near Gatwick AFAIK)

Comment

Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
              Try urinating on it.
              Given the brandy I drank last night, I fear that'll only make it worse.

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
                It'll be the dead stalks from your Japanese Knot Weed.
                Japanese Knot Weed is very hard to kill. Best I've found is to take the top off near ground level, pour petrol down the hollow stem, give it a few minutes then put a match to it, burns the plant underground.
                …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Given the brandy I drank last night, I fear that'll only make it worse.
                  What will you do after we pull out of Europe?

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                    Japanese Knot Weed is very hard to kill. Best I've found is to take the top off near ground level, pour petrol down the hollow stem, give it a few minutes then put a match to it, burns the plant underground.
                    Yeah but the stalks die off over winter and become paper-like bamboo type stuff that burn like a petrol soaked prostitute.

Agree with your removal method but it has to be done early in the year as it starts to sprout and sodium chlorate also does the trick
                    When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Working...
                    X