• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

wow, Switzerland is expensive

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wow, Switzerland is expensive

Or so I thought. Just returned from a few days on a business trip. €1300 for a hotel (okay it was on the nice side). Eating out, jings €80-100 without a push, includes one beer. But then I learnt everyone is paid a decent amount and taxes are low.

So I'm wondering, is Switzerland just expensive to outsiders and normal to everyone that lives there?
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Someone, please, another 7 days.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
      Someone, please, another 7 days.
      In paradise?
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
        So I'm wondering, is Switzerland just expensive to outsiders and normal to everyone that lives there?
        Never found it expensive at all, or anywhere else I have been to in the world really.
        Obviously all relative as to whether you command a good day rate.
        The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
          Never found it expensive at all, or anywhere else I have been to in the world really.
          Obviously all relative as to whether you command a good day rate.
          Yeah but he's a Jock

Comment

Or so I thought. Just returned from a few days on a business trip. €1300 for a hotel (okay it was on the nice side). Eating out, jings €80-100 without a push, includes one beer. But then I learnt everyone is paid a decent amount and taxes are low.

I have a photo somewhere of my Zurich £18 jacket potato, it was just that, a potato with a tiny blob of butter. Microwaved.

Tho to be fair, we were in Sargans in NE CH a week ago or so, prices reasonable though there's not a lot to do around there.

When we did Germany and Switzerland in the 2000's we thought the food was lovely especially in Hamburg and Berlin, now it seems it;s like mostly really dry Schweinfleisch everywhere, so much so I'm not keen on going again.

Comment

Or so I thought. Just returned from a few days on a business trip. €1300 for a hotel (okay it was on the nice side).
              Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
              Yeah but he's a Jock
              Correct, you only have to look at how little he spent on a hotel for a "few" days. I suspect it wasn't quite as "nice" as he would like to think.
              The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Found the food to be quite nice. Made a change from the Bavarian meat fest. Still ordered me a flamkuchen, very tasty it was to.

Two nights ago just outside Zurich. As I drove into the hotel the car keys were taken from me by the concierge. That never happens with the travel lodge

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                  Correct, you only have to look at how little he spent on a hotel for a "few" days. I suspect it wasn't quite as "nice" as he would like to think.
                  €1300 for a few days in a nice hotel?

Heck I pay more than that for the B&B I stay in in Florence - and I get a large discount for being a regular and paying cash....
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

€1300 per night for the hotel, or for a few days in it? And is that the rack rate?
                    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
                    X