• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

oh dear: Five-times-salary mortgage offer

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oh dear: Five-times-salary mortgage offer

Five-times-salary mortgage offer

Abbey, Britain's second largest home loan provider, is offering borrowers five times their salary in order to help them get onto the property ladder.

The bank is making the offer available to individuals or couples with a 25% deposit for their house and an annual income of £50,000 or more.

Abbey said it was reacting to surging house prices. (AtW's comment: no you dimwits you are causing prices to surge - should have refused give more than 3 times salary and stop price raise in 2002 or so!)

But a leading credit counsellor warned that borrowing on this scale meant buyers could be "very stretched".

An interest rate rise is also expected in the near future.

In recent years there has been a clear trend towards higher multiples, in some cases as much as 7.5 times annual salary

How much money can you borrow?

A couple borrowing £250,000 with a shared annual income of £50,000 would face repayments of about £1,400 a month - £17,000 a year.

However, only borrowers with good credit ratings and low debt levels would qualify, Abbey said.

"Our customers are continually asking for more money to purchase the house they want and subsequently we looked into the affordability ratings of certain people," said Abbey spokesman Dave Stewart.

"We found that people could afford to pay out for bigger mortgages but there just wasn't anything on the market at the moment offering them what they needed."

The current industry standard is for homebuyers to be offered mortgages of up to three-and-a-half times their salary.

Analysts say Abbey's move is likely to encourage other lenders to follow suit, as they fight for the business of would-be homeowners.

Last week, Bank of Ireland Mortgages and Bristol & West increased their standard salary multiple allowances from 4 to 4.5.

'Perfectly comfortable'

The Bank of England is strongly tipped to raise interest rates by 0.25 percentage points to 5% next week.

The chief executive of the Consumer Credit Counselling Service, Malcolm Hurlston, told the BBC that Abbey's announcement was risky news for borrowers.

"For some people this is going to look like an answer to their prayers but it risks taking them into dangerous territory," he said.

"If their salaries do not go up in the way they think, then they are going to be very stretched."

However, Ray Boulger, senior technical manager at independent mortgage brokers John Charcol, said it was possible to get similar incremental loans from other lenders.

"There is a responsibility on the borrower," he told BBC Radio Five Live.

"There will be some who feel perfectly comfortable borrowing that amount of money because they have a lifestyle which means they can afford it.

"However, there are others who prefer to spend more on luxuries and for who it is not suitable."

-------

A single tear goes down my face - is not it nice to have some business to "help" people in such a way that they get a nice warm house in time for Xmas?

Stop that irresponsible lending you greedy b******s!

I do like the little comments that you add to these posts to express your personal viewpoint, AtW. They make me laugh.

Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Are you saying I am a clown...

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
        Are you saying I am a clown...
        Were he to be, it would be a somewhat superfluous observation!
        “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

What's a Mortgage?
          The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

It has to be said that insisting on a 25% deposit is a reasonably good start. The majority of people running headlong into the property market won't have managed to save up 25%. Secondly you would need a crash that knocks 25% off the value of properties before they could start getting into negative equity.

Overall I would say that this is one of the more responsible offers i've seen. Companies have been handing out 5 times your wages for a couple of years now, the high deposit required for this one should offset the risks somewhat because generally speaking the people who have saved up 25% of the cost of a house will have a reasonably good idea of how to manage thier finances anyway. (***Note that I say generally speaking, not all***)

Comment

If median income is less than £25k then surely a mean house price of £250k is about the limit before prices fall?
              The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco
                It has to be said that insisting on a 25% deposit is a reasonably good start.
                Yes and who has got such deposit handy? These money will come in form of another loan - from parents, friends etc.

Mark my words - when this house price bubble bursts it will be so loud people will bleed from ears, including those who did not buy house, and it will be worse than .CON 1.0 burst, remember you heard it on here first!

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
                  Yes and who has got such deposit handy? These money will come in form of another loan - from parents, friends etc.
                  You mean parents will release their equity to fund children's purchase? Hmm, this could go on for quite a while.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
                    Mark my words - when this house price bubble bursts it will be so loud people will bleed from ears, including those who did not buy house, and it will be worse than .CON 1.0 burst, remember you heard it on here first!
                    Looks like the bubble is already bursting in the USA. Still some way to go before it happens here methinks..

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6088630.stm

Price of new US homes slumps 10%

Selling prices of new US homes saw their biggest fall in more than 35 years in September, although the pace of sales continued to rise.
                    Commerce Department figures said that median price for a new home sold in September was $217,100 (£116,000), 9.7% below that reported in 2005

Comment

Working...
                    X