• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Wood flooring

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wood flooring

I am having a morning room built – around 25m2.

Decided on wooden flooring – not laminate, but real wood.

Seen a couple I like at Wickes around the £40 a squared metre – Milanas and Havannah oaks, but I am always a little dubious about the large diy stores for quality and value. Westco Havana Oak Solid Wood Flooring | Wickes.co.uk

Any suggestions from those who have ventured on the new flooring path and come out the other side a little wiser?

First suggestion would be marble, not wood, particularly if there are big windows that will fade the wood.
    Second suggestion would be to go to your local flooring/carpet company (NOT Allied/Carpet World etc) and see what real wood floors are like. They will also get people in to fit them properly.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
      First suggestion would be marble, not wood.
      Ugh, are you a footballist?

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
        First suggestion would be marble,
        As an aside, how do cope with cleaning large bloodstains off the marble
        The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Where to get wood? Have you tried the Blue Oyster?

Comment

Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
            I am having a morning room built – around 25m2.

Decided on wooden flooring – not laminate, but real wood.

Seen a couple I like at Wickes around the £40 a squared metre – Milanas and Havannah oaks, but I am always a little dubious about the large diy stores for quality and value. Westco Havana Oak Solid Wood Flooring | Wickes.co.uk

Any suggestions from those who have ventured on the new flooring path and come out the other side a little wiser?
            Anything that gets a lot of sun, forget wood. Light coloured floor tiles would be my choice (darker ones will fade in patches over time) but if you really want to push the boat out, we have travetine but it's hideously expensive, and based on what we spent (and that's just on a kitchen floor), you're looking at 5 grand or so.
            His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
              As an aside, how do cope with cleaning large bloodstains off the marble
              According to the butler, it's easier to clean it off marble. Even the really dried in stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
                Anything that gets a lot of sun, forget wood. Light coloured floor tiles would be my choice (darker ones will fade in patches over time) but if you really want to push the boat out, we have travetine but it's hideously expensive, and based on what we spent (and that's just on a kitchen floor), you're looking at 5 grand or so.
                We did our downstairs wet room & utility in Travertine. Got it (and the marbles which is not pure gloss white) from https://www.floorsofstone.com

Would recommend them.

Comment

I was initially looking at stone or floor tiles, but the underfloor heating is rather expensive, and I was worried about the cold feeling - wood would be warmer underfoot.

The roof is traditional not glass and the room is not south facing, so I don't need to worry too much about sun fade.

Comment

Doesn't fade, easy to clean, highly recommended tiling.

Black Diamond Lifestyle : Diamonds - LuxTouch
                    First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Working...
                    X