• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Short term contract work

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Short term contract work

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has experience or advice on finding short term (5-10 days) contract work? I've contacted a number of the large agencies, none have anything less than 3 months. The client I'm with now state they 'down tools' a few times every year, each time for up to 3 weeks. I'm just trying to fill the gaps when I'm told I'm not needed.

Thank.

Start a job and hand in your notice on day 1?
    ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Aren't you better off looking at people per hour or something like that for gig's that short. For a week or two of work I'm sure it's easier for a client just to swap one of their existing resources on to it rather than bugger around looking for someone.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by KC1 View Post
        Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has experience or advice on finding short term (5-10 days) contract work? I've contacted a number of the large agencies, none have anything less than 3 months. The client I'm with now state they 'down tools' a few times every year, each time for up to 3 weeks. I'm just trying to fill the gaps when I'm told I'm not needed.

Thank.
        I think I'd take a holiday in those periods hopefully the rate would allow that

Comment

Freelancer.co.uk

qh
          He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Originally posted by gables View Post
            Stop being sensible.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Agencies are not interested in short contracts - there's not enough money in it for the hassle. Most contractors aren't interested either, compounding the difficulty. It's the same with part-time contracts. Companies do have requirements best filled by short and/or part-time contracts - but the agencies tell them it's not possible. So they try to do their best with what they've got.

As someone who makes a living from short contracts and part-time contracts, I can tell you it is quite lucrative, but you have to do most of the legwork yourself. What you need is a frame agreement with an agency which has a frame agreement with the client. Then it becomes easy for all parties for the client to raise a (e.g.) 5 day work order.

I've been doing this for 10 years now, so it is possible. You just need a good network and for people to be aware of a more flexible alternative to traditional contracting.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by gables View Post
                With up to 4 x15 days, and then bank holidays, I'm not sure if I can afford having that many holidays. That rate is good but I'd like to fill the time and take off when I want/need it.

Comment

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
                  Thanks, will take a look.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                    Agencies are not interested in short contracts - there's not enough money in it for the hassle. Most contractors aren't interested either, compounding the difficulty. It's the same with part-time contracts. Companies do have requirements best filled by short and/or part-time contracts - but the agencies tell them it's not possible. So they try to do their best with what they've got.

As someone who makes a living from short contracts and part-time contracts, I can tell you it is quite lucrative, but you have to do most of the legwork yourself. What you need is a frame agreement with an agency which has a frame agreement with the client. Then it becomes easy for all parties for the client to raise a (e.g.) 5 day work order.

I've been doing this for 10 years now, so it is possible. You just need a good network and for people to be aware of a more flexible alternative to traditional contracting.
                    Thanks for the advice. Appreciate they're difficult to set up and the demand is low but at least it's possible.

Comment

Working...
                    X