• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Building issues

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Building issues

New kitchen extension built, nearly finished. Price fixed, together with staged payments associated with deliverables nut no timescale agreed.

Here's the problem; I reckon there's about £1,500 worth of work left to be completed (triggering their final payment upon building regs sign off). They've not been on site for five weeks (citing bad weather - we're in Manchester, so not unrealistic). Are we within our rights to bin them off and get someone else in because of non-delivery in a reasonable timescale or has the failure to include a delivery schedule scuppered that (we and the builder agreed we'd rather it go in right than go in rushed, so weren't concerned about timeboxing the thing, other than it being sufficiently done for the kitchen company to do their bit)?

We're considering telling them not to bother coming back and simply getting a different builder to quote us for finishing off (or Nick Knowles if it comes to it!)

Neither AndyW's mum nor my accountant will give a toss but hopefully one of you has had a similar experience. Any advice gratefully received.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Stick with he builder you have, if the jobs good and you see no other problem than them not coming back to finish then stay with him, most builders try to juggle multiple jobs obviously he's sloped off to the next job because you told him no rush on yours and now time is slipping away.

You just need to get him round the table and bang out a timescale to get to the end

Comment

Originally posted by Support Monkey View Post
      Stick with he builder you have, if the jobs good and you see no other problem than them not coming back to finish then stay with him, most builders try to juggle multiple jobs obviously he's sloped off to the next job because you told him no rush on yours and now time is slipping away.

You just need to get him round the table and bang out a timescale to get to the end
      Did that five weeks ago.
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Give 'em a call, say weather is good now, ask for a timescale to complete.

If you are not happy with timescale, propose you get another building company in to complete the works and see what they say.

I suspect they've got so much work on they will be glad you are handing to someone else to be honest. The building trade is on fire, so much work out there, builders rates are better than IT contractors.

Comment

Well first up what does the contract say? (you do have a contract don’t you?)

Normally you would need to issue a 7 day notice.

Giving them notice that the works need to commence by X date (normally 7 days) or they are in breach of contract – as you don’t have an agreed programme this could be difficult, but most contracts will have a “works to progress in a regular and maintained sequence” clause you can cite.

If the works are not completed by X then you will contract A N Other to complete the works & the costs shall be contra charged against the Builder

Be warned this could invalidate any warranty you have

If the weather has legitimately held them up again look at the relevant clause – it will define what is deemed adverse weather & if they can legitimately claim an EOT (Extension of Time)

If you do have a contact what form is it? (ie JCT Minor Works) if you don’t have a contract what are his T&C’s as that is what you have agreed to.
          Growing old is mandatory
          Growing up is optional

Comment

well I would still keep chasing them up and get a definitive answer either way, especially if the work was good and you had no other issues, I would be saying do you actually want to come back and finish the job or are you happy for me to get someone else in.

in the time it's going to take to find someone get a quote and agree it you could be into another 5 weeks.

And if you can find a builders who is not busy and can start on it next week you need to run a mile because they are no good, any decent builder is always flat out busy

Comment

My builder chum now only does work when:

A. It doesn't clash with his golf playing commitments
              B. It doesn't clash with his exotic holiday plans
              C. There's not major sporting event on which might involve hime sitting in a pub garden all day with his other buidling trade mates.

He laughs his t1ts off when I tell him about computer geeks commuting for 4 hours a day so they can sit in an office for 10 hours to be able afford a house on a housing estate.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                The building trade is on fire.
                It's odd because I know a few builders too (SE) and they relay similar things. However, recent construction numbers and forward looking indicators (PMIs) have been absolutely dismal. I guess the high-rise megabubble in London accounts for a large fraction of the total, so it's probably just a slowdown there.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                  My builder chum now only does work when:

A. It doesn't clash with his golf playing commitments
                  B. It doesn't clash with his exotic holiday plans
                  C. There's not major sporting event on which might involve hime sitting in a pub garden all day with his other buidling trade mates.

He laughs his t1ts off when I tell him about computer geeks commuting for 4 hours a day so they can sit in an office for 10 hours to be able afford a house on a housing estate.
                  Well that is a load of bollocks, you don't have any friends let alone "chums"
                  Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                  I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by Halo Jones View Post
                    Well first up what does the contract say? (you do have a contract don’t you?)

Normally you would need to issue a 7 day notice.

Giving them notice that the works need to commence by X date (normally 7 days) or they are in breach of contract – as you don’t have an agreed programme this could be difficult, but most contracts will have a “works to progress in a regular and maintained sequence” clause you can cite.

If the works are not completed by X then you will contract A N Other to complete the works & the costs shall be contra charged against the Builder

Be warned this could invalidate any warranty you have

If the weather has legitimately held them up again look at the relevant clause – it will define what is deemed adverse weather & if they can legitimately claim an EOT (Extension of Time)

If you do have a contact what form is it? (ie JCT Minor Works) if you don’t have a contract what are his T&C’s as that is what you have agreed to.
                    Thanks everyone; this bit has made my mind up. The work that they've done so far has been very good. I'd highly recommend them as long as you can keep them on site!

Comment

Working...
                    X