• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Strawberries and Cream

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strawberries and Cream

I'm sorry, but this is just a little bit too much fear: https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...-farmers-union

Surely there is some way that job seekers or the long term unemployed could be enticed to do this work, I don't know how but it would get them moving at least.

“We cannot produce affordable food without a workforce that’s happy to handpick in the field or orchard,”
    Well you're just going to have to find a way (chain gangs anyone?)
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    I'm sorry, but this is just a little bit too much fear: https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...-farmers-union

Surely there is some way that job seekers or the long term unemployed could be enticed to do this work, I don't know how but it would get them moving at least.

Well you're just going to have to find a way (chain gangs anyone?)
    Indeed work or starve.

Comment

well if they didn't penalise those on benefits for finding temporary work that might be a start.

If you take work and it turns out to be temporary then it takes 3 months to get your benefits back. Combine that with the pay being minimum wage and its hardly appealing.
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Stick up a 'pick your own' sign and charge twice what you'd get from the supermarkets. Can't be that hard.

Comment

Strawberries and Cream in my world means something else

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
            well if they didn't penalise those on benefits for finding temporary work that might be a start.

If you take work and it turns out to be temporary then it takes 3 months to get your benefits back. Combine that with the pay being minimum wage and its hardly appealing.
            ^^^This

It's well known why many on benefits refused to do this work kind of work and zero hours contracts in factories etc.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

How about students? Many years ago, students used to bugger off to warm climes to do a bit of fruit picking to build up their funds (and suntans.) Surely now with student fees being extortionate and with climate change giving the northern regions good hot summers this could be a viable alternative? Perhaps offer it as some form of incentive to cut down the payments on their loans?
              Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post

I'm sure this would be enough enticement for me:

Last edited by Malcolm Buggeridge; 21 July 2016, 07:50.

Comment

Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
                  Strawberries and Cream in my world means something else
                  put some suntan lotion on your plums next time!
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                    put some suntan lotion on your plums next time!
                    Not required. They are usually always covered by someone

Comment

Working...
                    X