• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Yet another British takeover

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yet another British takeover

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/green-ligh...063700683.html

For dear old Freako, this relates to the takeover of Argos (remember Green Shield Stamps?) by Sainsburys. The high street will never be the same again.

Interesting move.

On the face of it, it's Sainsbury trying to up its offering against Tesco to trump their Click and Collect service. Potentially it'll vastly improve the non-food offering in Sainsbury superstores too. Argos have been hit by internet sales; you can tell because they've switched from pens to pencils
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
      https://uk.news.yahoo.com/green-ligh...063700683.html

For dear old Freako, this relates to the takeover of Argos (remember Green Shield Stamps?) by Sainsburys. The high street will never be the same again.
      oh dear.

Can see that going well.
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

All this interbreeding of companies is confusing. They recently opened an Argos collection area in my local Homebase, much less room for important DIY things, like bits of wood and door hinges. I can't manage without my weekly fix of door hinges.
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
          Interesting move.

On the face of it, it's Sainsbury trying to up its offering against Tesco to trump their Click and Collect service. Potentially it'll vastly improve the non-food offering in Sainsbury superstores too. Argos have been hit by internet sales; you can tell because they've switched from pens to pencils
          Now there's a plan B for MF, given that he is benched. Pinch as many pencils as you can and sell them online

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
            All this interbreeding of companies is confusing. They recently opened an Argos collection area in my local Homebase, much less room for important DIY things, like bits of wood and door hinges. I can't manage without my weekly fix of door hinges.
            Yes, it's odd having Argos in Homebase, especially now since Homebase has been taken over by Bunnings, an Australian company.

Bunnings sets out plans for its Homebase stores | Horticulture Week

UK is all ****ed up when it comes to takeovers, strategies, ownership, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
              Yes, it's odd having Argos in Homebase, especially now since Homebase has been taken over by Bunnings, an Australian company.

Bunnings sets out plans for its Homebase stores | Horticulture Week

UK is all ****ed up when it comes to takeovers, strategies, ownership, etc.
              expect them to buy the new discount supplier toolfix or screwstation.
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
              X