• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

oh dear: Knighthood of Sir Philip Green under review following BHS failure

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oh dear: Knighthood of Sir Philip Green under review following BHS failure

"Sir Philip Green’s knighthood is under review following complaints about his former ownership of the failed department store chain BHS, it has emerged.

The Cabinet Office confirmed in a letter to a Labour MP that it was looking into Green’s knighthood after there were a number of calls for him to be stripped of the honour.

The statement to Jim McMahon set out the process of cancelling an honour, which has to be recommended by the Cabinet Office and forfeiture committee before being approved by the Queen. It said: “I hope you will understand that I cannot comment on the particular circumstances of Sir Philip, but I can assure you that the case is being reviewed.”

Green has been heavily criticised for taking large sums of money out of BHS before selling the company to a three-time bankrupt just over a year before it failed. MPs on the Commons work and pensions committee are expected to heavily criticise the actions of Green, who sold BHS for £1 to Dominic Chappell in March 2015, in a report scheduled to be published shortly.

A Cabinet Office spokesperson said on Friday: “Applications for forfeiture are considered by an independent committee. They have been clear that they will not consider reviewing an honour until any formal reviews or investigations which establish the facts of a case have been completed. However, we continue to keep the case under review.”"

Source: https://www.theguardian.com/business...der-review-bhs

The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

I am still unclear as to EXACTLY what he has done wrong?

Did he mention Hitler or something?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post

No, he didn't blame Corbyn or the BBC for his own failings.
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Nice. Hope that he is also sent to a prison in Congo or Saudi Arabia for the rest of his retarded life.

When was the last time someone was beheaded at a royal decree in the UK?

Comment

Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
            Nice. Hope that he is also sent to a prison in Congo or Saudi Arabia for the rest of his retarded life.

And what is his crime? Being rich?

For a while he bought jobs and prosperity the tens of thousands.

Comment

Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
              Pass but I think Stealing Rope from a Royal Dockyard is still a treasonable offence and was once punishable by hanging.

" The death penalty remained a legally defined punishment for certain offences such as treason until it was completely abolished in 1998"

As for the OPs topic, rightly or wrongly the guy has a Knighthood if he genuinely earnt it then so be it, but if he bought it through 'donations to the party' or whatever then the real shame is on those in Whitehall that condone and encourage that culture.
              So now I am worried, am I being deceived, just how much sugar is really in a spoon full!

Comment

Originally posted by DallasDad View Post
                Pass but I think Stealing Rope from a Royal Dockyard is still a treasonable offence and was once punishable by hanging.

" The death penalty remained a legally defined punishment for certain offences such as treason until it was completely abolished in 1998"

As for the OPs topic, rightly or wrongly the guy has a Knighthood if he genuinely earnt it then so be it, but if he bought it through 'donations to the party' or whatever then the real shame is on those in Whitehall that condone and encourage that culture.
                Arson in a naval dockyard and piracy on the high seas too.
                http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
                  Arson in a naval dockyard and piracy on the high seas too.
                  Depends on whose ships are being pirated - Spanish ones were ok....

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post

Did he do anything illegal - probably not.

But he got his knighthood for "services to the retail industry" - on the basis that he made an extraordinary contribution in his field, for which recent evidence casts doubt upon that.

Comment

Working...
                    X