• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Paddy Pantsdown is back

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paddy Pantsdown is back

More United: Paddy Ashdown's new political movement launched today

Firstly, some context. In politics, money matters. That’s a reality that many of us (me included) don’t like, but a reality it is.
    Having more money than your opponent can be decisive in a close election, so the people writing the cheques wield huge and often unaccountable power.

On the left, the Trade Unions contribute the overwhelming bulk of Labour’s money. Trade Unions are a great thing, and we need them, but having a party so totally reliable on a single source of income cannot be healthy.

On the right, most of the Conservative party’s money comes from big business, and often from the kinds of businesses that aren’t subject to much public scrutiny. Again, big business are not bad things, but having them wield so much power is not healthy.

Here’s an example. In the recent EU referendum we saw Aaron Banks write a cheque for £11m to support the leave campaign, an amount of money that
    undoubtedly swung the result his way.

Once you realise who’s paying the bills, it doesn’t take long to realise why our politics is being dragged to the extremes, on all sides.
    Strange he didn't mention the Government spending £9million of Government money on remain...

lets see how long he lasts...
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Why didn't he just put his weight behind the LibDems?
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
      Why didn't he just put his weight behind the LibDems?
      That would be a bit like tunnelling into the Alamo given their current popularity ratings.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
        That would be a bit like tunnelling into the Alamo given their current popularity ratings.

I think that their current popularity ratings are higher than you might expect, hat with the goings on in Labour...
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
          I think that their current popularity ratings are higher than you might expect, hat with the goings on in Labour...
          Even so, it is a bit like trying to put a positive spin on syphilis by comparing it to the Ebola virus.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
            Even so, it is a bit like trying to put a positive spin on syphilis by comparing it to the Ebola virus.

Or putting a spin on £350million a week for the NHS. :
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Pity David Steel doesn't make a comeback. Liked him. Bit ancient I suppose.

One day they will be able to get DNA from corpses and regrow the people in a lab. Bet The Duke of Wellington could tackle Juncker.
              Last edited by xoggoth; 25 July 2016, 08:59.
              bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
              John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
              X