• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Win 10 last chance to upgrade

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Win 10 last chance to upgrade

Just over 24 hours left for free upgrade (on Win 7), anybody is taking it?
    Yes
    31.25%
    No
    37.50%
    AndyW's mum is making all decisions for me
    31.25%

have 10 and its pretty good.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Upgraded the whole family fleet of windows machines over the last few months. Not had any problems and I think it's not too bad at all.

Damn site (sight?) better than 8.

Comment

To me the Microsoft eco system is by far the strongest of the lot now.

The idea to make an operating system adapt to the way it is being used at that point in time sunk win 8 but going through the challenge and completely fecking it up first time eventually made a much stronger product than their rivals.

Comment

Upgraded about a month ago from 7. The abortion of a start menu boils my piss, but less so now i've managed to divest it of all the chav apps (facebook, tw@er, weather and 'news') and stick word and excel in there. Takes time to find my normal things still though. Other than that, pretty seemless and don't notice any difference day to day.

Comment

I was using a unserviced packed win 8 today.

Couldn't remember to power it down.

Comment

Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
              Takes time to find my normal things still though.
              How? Hit the Windows key, type the program / document name. If frequently used pin to Start menu and / or taskbar.

I guess if you stick to the Windows 95 style of browsing through the Start menu to find what you want it can take a while.

Comment

I've had it on my laptop a couple of months; It's okay. No real complaints. Yesterday I fired up the desktop and was looking at the countdown clock and try as hard as I could I just couldn't resist pressing the button...

Then yesterday my Dad phoned (from France) to say his computer was "broken" with the dreaded "Critical Error. We'll try to fix it next time you sign in" that seems to be plaguing some Windows 10 users. I hope he's managed to fix it otherwise it looks like I'll be doing some long distance Windows 10 support.

BTW there's meant to be an "anniversary" update next week with changes to the start menu.
                Last edited by VectraMan; 29 July 2016, 07:19.
                Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Yeah everyone's upgrading for the freebie just in time for the anniversary upgrade where they'll introduce even more spyware and adverts. No opt-outs available on updates unless you're on Enterprise* version.

I wonder if they'll extend the free period or reduce the anticipated retail prices if they don't get as many through the W10 freebie door as they want.

* That reminds me, need to check what the Action Pack restrictions are these days. £300 annual fee and no more competency tests for the basic W10 Enterprise (10 licences), Visual Studio Pro, and SQL Server Enterprise last time I checked, if I understand the blurb correctly. Will have to see how the VS and SQL versions stack up to the free versions they offer.
                  Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
                    Upgraded about a month ago from 7. The abortion of a start menu boils my piss, but less so now i've managed to divest it of all the chav apps (facebook, tw@er, weather and 'news') and stick word and excel in there. Takes time to find my normal things still though. Other than that, pretty seemless and don't notice any difference day to day.
                    Your friend is Classic Shell - Start menu and other Windows enhancements . I just moved from 8.1 to 10 and reinstalled Windows 7 Classic Shell and I'm perfectly happy.

Comment

Working...
                    X