• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Lets not have EDF build our nuclear future

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lets not have EDF build our nuclear future

Britain casts doubt on EDF's $24 billion nuclear project | Reuters

Britain has cast doubt on a $24 billion (18 billion pounds) project with French utility EDF to build the UK's first new nuclear plant in decades, delaying a final decision on the plan just weeks after the Brexit vote ushered in a new prime minister.

The surprise decision to review the Hinkley Point C project was made public hours after the board of French state-controlled EDF voted to proceed with it.

The British government, which had been expected to sign contracts on Friday, said instead that it wanted to give the plans further consideration, postponing its verdict until early autumn.
    New petition: Stop Hinkley nuclear plant and spend the money on renewable instead | Greenpeace UK

I can see this working out well, an almost bankrupt French energy giant and a post Brexit govt working on the most expensive building in the world, technically almost impossible, with the green lobby fighting it at every turn.

Personally, I'd rather have more gas powered stations. Cheap, relatively clean, simple and British run.
    First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

I know a polish chap that will do it for £100k
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by _V_ View Post
      Personally, I'd rather have more gas powered stations. Cheap, relatively clean, simple and British run.
      And be dependant on the Ruskies?

I prefer Nuclear long term. Coal fired medium term. All made with UK technology, UK money and UK talent.

Comment

Don't we have minin nukes in submarines?

Who owns that technology?

Why can't we scale it... Kind of Minin Nuke Farms. Relatively flexible and 'home grown'...

Comment

Makes sense to cancel this deal - why borrow from French and Chinese to pay them effectively high interest on the debt, when money can be printed for free or for very low interest of 2%???

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
            Makes sense to cancel this deal - why borrow from French and Chinese to pay them effectively high interest on the debt, when money can be printed for free or for very low interest of 2%???
            ^ This. The energy (if it ever works, which is highly unlikely - See the GAL post for details) will be very expensive, the French will sting us as bill payers.

We should print the money for these big infrastructure projects and use British companies, employing (mostly) British workers.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
              We could even have something sort of central, like, for generating electricity and planning stuff, we could call it the central electricity generating board.
              5 year plan!!!

Tractor production will increase by 200% or else!!!

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                5 year plan!!!

Tractor production will increase by 200% or else!!!

We use to have something like that - then it was decided privatising everything was more efficient and cheaper...
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I wish they'd just frikkin get on with it so I can jack up the rent on my BTL in Bridgwater

Comment

My interview with their trading commodities arm left me running away, very fast. I'd have beaten Bolt over the threshold out the door.
                    I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Working...
                    X