• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Monday Links from the Dentist's Chair vol. CCCXLIV

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monday Links from the Dentist's Chair vol. CCCXLIV

Dentist again today. Root canal FTW! Until the livestream of my screams begins, you can be reading this lot:
    • The Jehovah’s Witness Who Knew Too Much - Joel Gunz was three years old when his mother joined the Jehovah’s Witnesses: ”We began preparing for the worst too, because come October, 1975, Jehovah was going to plant hooks in the jaws of the nations and lead them to the Battle of Armageddon, whooshing our makeshift family into a second chance at prosperity in a millennium of theocratic rule… 1975 came and went, sweeping hundreds of thousands of disillusioned Witnesses off the membership rolls. We remained on perpetual doomsday alert.”

• After 100 years World War I battlefields are poisoned and uninhabitable - "The gruesome and terrifying type of warfare typical of the Great War had a lasting impact on those who witnessed and experienced it. It also created such carnage on the land where it was fought that some of those areas are still uninhabitable to this day."

• The Forgotten Kaleidoscope Craze in Victorian England - "It’s hard to imagine now, but in the years after the kaleidoscope was first invented in 1816, it distracted the public as much as an iPhone. A person couldn’t walk down a street in London without seeing people staring into these tubes and walking into walls from being so immersed in the new invention." Idea: kaleidoscope app for the iPhone

• Confessions of a Former Apocalypse Survival Guide Writer - Christopher Moyer on writing guides to coping with the End Times: ”The first time I bid on a freelance job to ghostwrite a doomsday survival guide, I was only asked one question: Did I have experience writing for middle-aged Republican men?"

• La Morgue, yesterday and today - Parisians used to flock to view unclaimed corpses: ”Due to the vast number of violent deaths and of bodies pulled out of the Seine, this mortuary was constantly filled with new “guests”, and soon transcended its original function. The majority of visitors, in fact, had no missing relatives to recognize.”

• Explore The Mysterious Cemetery Of Abandoned Cars In The Depths Of Liverpool - "Nigel Willsbrowne is becoming year’s most prominent amateur archaeologist in the city of Liverpool. He often works in basements and during one such excavations he discovered an abandoned tunnel filled with dilapidated cars." So that’s what they did with them

• The Retro-Daze VCS Tape Cover Collection - Another excellent collection of cultural artefacts at the Internet Archive: ”The Retro-Daze VCS Tape Cover Collection: Over 1,000 VHS Tape covers primarily from the 1980s, including action movies, children's cartoons, comedies, and special interest tapes.”

• Endangered: A Bird and a Tribe - ”I had traveled 2,000 miles from my cozy Brooklyn apartment, trekked for days in the blistering sun and thin air of the mountains of the Sierra Nevada of Santa Marta, all for a glimpse of a high-altitude hummingbird… To understand the perilous position of the helmetcrest, you have to also understand the perilous position of the Kogi — birds and humans clinging to life on the edges of rocky mountains, both competing for existence in this tiny remaining corner of the once-wild world.” Alexandra Ossola examines how the Kogi people, whose society is traditionally dedicated wholly to the care of their ecosystem, are nonetheless causing irreparable harm to it.

• What It Was Like To Buy And Own A Car In The USSR - Gabrielius Blažys on the joys of car ownership in the Soviet bloc: ”Certainly, you are not going to leave your brand new car in a parking near your home. No way! You’re not an idiot. You’ll drive approximately 40 minutes to your newly purchased garage. Why 40? Well, in the most instances, there weren’t any garages in a residential areas. You had to drive to the outskirts, where most garages were situated.”

• google sheep view - "searching for sheep on google street view 🐑"

Happy invoicing!

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    [*]google sheep view - "searching for sheep on google street view ��"
    Well that's made PC's day. I hope he's got enough tissues.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Well that's made PC's day. I hope he's got enough tissues.
      Too late- its all gone off
      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

[*]Explore The Mysterious Cemetery Of Abandoned Cars In The Depths Of Liverpool - "Nigel Willsbrowne is becoming year’s most prominent amateur archaeologist in the city of Liverpool. He often works in basements and during one such excavations he discovered an abandoned tunnel filled with dilapidated cars." So that’s what they did with them
        Something isn't right here. The article says it collapsed in 1975 but checking the reg on that Lotus Elise it says it was registered in 1979 and the landrover was 1988.

EDIT : Oh misread it. Says they started using it in 1975 but not when it collapsed. Doh.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Something isn't right here. The article says it collapsed in 1975 but checking the reg on that Lotus Elise it says it was registered in 1979 and the landrover was 1988.

EDIT : Oh misread it. Says they started using it in 1975 but not when it collapsed. Doh.
          I think it must have been the Dingle tunnel collapse in 2012: Toxteth train tunnel collapse investigated - BBC News

From what I remember reading at the time, there were a load of old cars stored down there.

Comment

Excellent links as always got lost on wearethemighty.com
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

I think it must have been the Dingle tunnel collapse in 2012: Toxteth train tunnel collapse investigated - BBC News

From what I remember reading at the time, there were a load of old cars stored down there.
              Interestingly it was part of a station underground. On the Liverpool overhead line.

Comment

Was there a livestream of your dental screams? Linky?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                  Interestingly it was part of a station underground. On the Liverpool overhead line.
                  Yep - we like a bit of variety with our transport in Liverpool, hence the roads going underground and coming out on the other side of the river

Originally posted by GJABS View Post
                  Was there a livestream of your dental screams? Linky?
                  Apparently you have to go private for that, so sadly not

Comment

Working...
                  X