• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What to do if you just started a contract and want out?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to do if you just started a contract and want out?

Hi all,

Long time reader first time poster. This forum has been a great learning resource so thanks all for the help you have already given me in my contracting endeavors.

I have been lucky enough that I have had 5 or 6 contracts now and never had this issue. I started a contract towards the end of May, and it is a 6 month contract, and I am not happy with the organisation or the work I am doing and I am looking for other opportunities. However, I am not really sure how much, if anything I should say to my employer or my agent. I dont want to tip my cards too early but I also don't want to just walk in one day and tell them I am leaving, which will come as a total surprise. I then expect I will be asked why I am leaving and why I didn't raise any issues earlier.

To be honest I don't think raising the issues now would really be helpful in changing anything anyways because the issues are largely due to the organisation itself and these things will not change just because I complain to my direct report. That being said, I have a feeling of obligation to let someone know that I am not really happy in the post.

I would have thought that I should tell my agency but I am not sure whether I can trust them to not say anything to the employer. However, I would like to tell them because hopefully they can help me find new work! Or would that reflect poorly on them if they found new work for me?

Anyways, if you have been in this situation I would really appreciate any advice or information about how you went about things. At the moment I have no concrete prospects but I am certainly starting to look...

Thanks

Originally posted by sharepointguy View Post
    Hi all,

Long time reader first time poster. This forum has been a great learning resource so thanks all for the help you have already given me in my contracting endeavors.

I have been lucky enough that I have had 5 or 6 contracts now and never had this issue. I started a contract towards the end of May, and it is a 6 month contract, and I am not happy with the organisation or the work I am doing and I am looking for other opportunities. However, I am not really sure how much, if anything I should say to my employer or my agent. I dont want to tip my cards too early but I also don't want to just walk in one day and tell them I am leaving, which will come as a total surprise. I then expect I will be asked why I am leaving and why I didn't raise any issues earlier.

To be honest I don't think raising the issues now would really be helpful in changing anything anyways because the issues are largely due to the organisation itself and these things will not change just because I complain to my direct report. That being said, I have a feeling of obligation to let someone know that I am not really happy in the post.

I would have thought that I should tell my agency but I am not sure whether I can trust them to not say anything to the employer. However, I would like to tell them because hopefully they can help me find new work! Or would that reflect poorly on them if they found new work for me?

Anyways, if you have been in this situation I would really appreciate any advice or information about how you went about things. At the moment I have no concrete prospects but I am certainly starting to look...

Thanks
    Do not trust the agent. Do not rely on the agent to find other contract work.

Comment

However, I am not really sure how much, if anything I should say to my employer
      Who is your employer on this contract?
      First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Great tale of woe

What does your contract say re notice?
        Don't beat yourself up about it, we have all had bad ones.
        Personally, I have always stuck it out
        The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

I agree with Mr Mark. Normally I have stuck it out. Dont trust or say anything to your agent, they dont care about you only numbers. Your options are
          1. Stick it out
          2. Start looking and move with giving notice
          3. Chuck in your notice and look for another job

Comment

I'd try and stay if it's a decent rate.

You could walk into another contract that's just as bad.

If you feel that you can chat to your hiring manager, do so, but in a non-confrontational way - we don't know what's wrong but hopefully you can put a question to him that will illicit his feelings on the subject without giving yours away.

Once you've established that, consider if things may change and if there's a will within your area to change what you don't like.
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
              Great tale of woe

What does your contract say re notice?
              Don't beat yourself up about it, we have all had bad ones.
              Personally, I have always stuck it out
              +1

There's only 15 weeks till the end - take some holiday, it'll soon tick down and you won't be left forever having to explain a short contract on your CV.

Comment

Originally posted by sharepointguy View Post
                Hi all,

They are not your bloody employer. Jesus wept

packet of growsum is required I believe.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  They are not your bloody employer. Jesus wept

packet of growsum is required I believe.
                  Haven't you got some toilets to clean?

Comment

Its only a few months. Man up.

Comment

Working...
                    X