• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

contracting in Switzerland

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

contracting in Switzerland

Hi,
    I am in final stages of negotiation and I am trying to work out the best way to set myself up. The client is happy for me to either contract as a company or as a freelance worker. Does anyone have experience of either and can provide pros and cons? Can anyone recommend their swiss accountant?
    Thank you very much.

You can't use your own company to work for any significant time in Switzerland. It costs a few thousand francs to set up your own ltd co. You need 20K seed money to put into you company to start it. In some cantons, you have to buy an insurance bond to protect your employees. Dividend income is taxed. You can't operate as a freelancer without at least 3 separate clients.

Best bet is to go through a payroll company if you're not planning to immigrate.

If you're in Basel, I can recommend an accountant.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by cont1 View Post
      Hi,
      I am in final stages of negotiation and I am trying to work out the best way to set myself up. The client is happy for me to either contract as a company or as a freelance worker. Does anyone have experience of either and can provide pros and cons? Can anyone recommend their swiss accountant?
      Thank you very much.
      If you have to choose an Umbrella company run away from Great Central...

Comment

Originally posted by Bee View Post
        Care to expand and provide evidence?
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Don't be ridiculous and don't tell me what to do. If he wants more info I will provide by PM.

Comment

Don't be ridiculous and don't tell me what to do. If he wants more info I will provide by PM.
            Surely the purpose of a forum is to share information? We get this PM shiite on immigrationboards where the opinion is owt shared on PM is likely to be some sort of scam.

Comment

So my post gets deleted but Bee's trash stays. Nice.

Guess I just wait for my infraction now.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

So my post gets deleted but Bee's trash stays. Nice.

Guess I just wait for my infraction now.

Comment

If you are going publicly encourage people to stay away from a certain company, you need to also publicly give a reason. That can be opinion (I think...) or personal anecdote, but cannot slander the company (e.g. calling them a bunch of con-men, scam-artists etc.)

It is not unreasonable at all for NLUK to ask for more information. Which he has done concisely and politely. Unlike your reaction, which was defensive and quite rude.
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Thanks all
                    So I am moving to Switzerland - this is a one year contract and I will leave the UK and take up a swiss address. It doesn't bother me to open a swiss company - I have a desire to build up some training clients on the side. I just don't know how much of that I need to do early on in order to satisfy the swiss tax folk that I am a business (surely many businesses start with just one client!)
                    Recs for umbrella companies / agencies welcome.
                    Any other options other than via an intermediary? I have the option to contract directly as a freelancer but i don't really understand the ins and outs of this approach yet.
                    Any Geneva based contractors who can recommend an accountant?
                    Thank you again

Comment

Working...
                    X