• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Speed Awareness course or 3 points?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speed Awareness course or 3 points?

Spank me silly I was caught by the Police Revenue Generating Unit doing just over the 30mph limit.

I have had a clean license for over 15 years so am wondering whether I should take the 3 points or go on a 4 hour Speed Awareness course. The financial cost in both cases is very similar and hence irrelevant (£100 Vs £95).

Do 3 points make much difference to insurance costs these days?

Take the course. No insurance conversations to be had then.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Do the SAC as it means you don't get the 3 points on your insurance.

I was the same a couple of years ago and it would have affected the premium if I had taken the points, albeit my first 3 points (for a while...).

Comment

Course will take half a day. If you lose half a days work then best to cough up the fine and take the points.
        If the course is a weekend it's down to how valuable your weekend is.

If you're on the bench then course it is.
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

I took the points recently. It was cheaper than attending the course. And a lot less inconvenient.

I don't think it makes one iota to your insurance premiums.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
            Course will take half a day. If you lose half a days work then best to cough up the fine and take the points.
            If the course is a weekend it's down to how valuable your weekend is.

If you're on the bench then course it is.
            You can do the course in the evening or at the weekend and only takes 2 hours, not half a day, unless it has all changed.

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
              You can do the course in the evening or at the weekend and only takes 2 hours, not half a day, unless it has all changed.
              mine was 10 years ago so it may have changed since. It was a very depressing Saturday morning when the sun was shining. All I could think of was I'd rather have taken the points.
              See You Next Tuesday

Comment

You probably have to sit through an hour of adverts first.............

Comment

I took the SAC, lost a days billing which was probably more than the hike in premiums, but seeing as the points stay on your license for a number of years, you have to factor in the extra each year.

Also peace of mind as 3 less points in case anything else happens (not that difficult to get a 6 point penalty these days, a couple of dodgy tyres, or letting your insurance lapse) and then you are upto 9 points which means clenching when you pass a mobile speed camera in the future
                  Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                  I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
                    It's 4.5 hours now!! All classroom based theory

Comment

Working...
                    X