• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The bookies always win

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The bookies always win

How Leicester City's shock win was actually a boon for the bookies - BBC News

The article doesn't mention how much the bookies took in losing bets on the likes of City, Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea and United to win the title, so doesn't give a true reflection of the overall Premier League Title 15/16 book that a bookmaker will have run. While it quite rightly points out that they didn't drop the odds enough, the bookies probably believed that they wouldn't stay the course; one reasonable-length injury to Kante or Mahrez and they'd have been struggling.

In the history of the Premier League (yes, I know football started before 1992!), a lot of surprising names have had over 20 points from their first ten games, such as Wigan and Bolton. Eventually they've faded and that's what the bookies (and most other people) were expecting to happen. But don't ever feel sorry for the bookies. Oh and one tip; if people are moaning about the odds laid, it's generally because the bookies have priced up their book correctly
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Bookmakers will always win. I ended up usually winning about 95% of my bets and then they began to limit my account to stupid amounts like £2.53 per bet to stop me winning more money. The adverts come across like "We want you to win" but when you do, they shut the doors quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by ContractorHardman View Post
        Bookmakers will always win. I ended up usually winning about 95% of my bets and then they began to limit my account to stupid amounts like £2.53 per bet to stop me winning more money. The adverts come across like "We want you to win" but when you do, they shut the doors quickly.
        Indeed. They are happy with 95% of punters because they generally have a small net gain at best.

I don't bet much but generally make a profit at the race meets I go to.
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Working...
        X