PDA

View Full Version : Christmas party 2016

Pages : [1] 2

mudskipper
14th August 2016, 21:52
Edit:

Counting House booked for 9 December.

We are on the Gallery (upstairs) this year - room was too expensive.

See you there!

eek
15th August 2016, 08:05
For exactly how many years can Premier Inn label a hotel as new....

DaveB
15th August 2016, 08:07
For exactly how many years can Premier Inn label a hotel as new....

Until they build one in the same city that's newer?

eek
15th August 2016, 08:08
I take it, it is somewhere on the 9th December even if we can't get the counting house?

northernladuk
15th August 2016, 08:32
Not so sure I like the 'polishing head' option. Barrydidit isn't going to like that :happy

Can someone get a message to TF as he's not so active on the boards at the moment?

eek
15th August 2016, 08:34
Not so sure I like the 'polishing head' option. Barrydidit isn't going to like that :happy

Can someone get a message to TF as he's not so active on the boards at the moment?

I think ms will have that in hand

mudskipper
15th August 2016, 08:44
TF isn't one to miss an opportunity to wear a Christmas jumper.

SimonMac
15th August 2016, 08:46
I'll say yes now and then ask the wife for permission nearer the time

northernladuk
15th August 2016, 09:00
I'll say yes now and then ask the wife for permission nearer the time

Myself and probably nearly every other bloke attending bows to your honesty and is attempting a similar strategy.

EDIT : Oh, except for those that are too chicken and will just bring SWMBO with them ;)

DaveB
15th August 2016, 09:06
Myself and probably nearly every other bloke attending bows to your honesty and is attempting a similar strategy.

Nah, already told MrsB. It's her job to sort the travel and accommodation arrangements. :rolleyes:

eek
15th August 2016, 09:10
Mrs Eek is busy that weekend so I won't be asking permission at any point.

The only thing I need to check is what time train do I need to catch up north and how much shopping can I do first...

Pondlife
15th August 2016, 09:17
I'm in.

northernladuk
15th August 2016, 09:18
I'm in.

Better buy myself some shades then.

Pondlife
15th August 2016, 09:23
Better buy myself some shades then.

I was wondering about whether to recycle last year's shirt or go with something more christmassy.

Will have a google and see what I can find. :D

eek
15th August 2016, 09:35
I'll raise you

http://lakelandcamel.scene7.com/is/image/LakelandCamel/52842_1?$300$

DaveB
15th August 2016, 11:59
I'll see your

http://lakelandcamel.scene7.com/is/image/LakelandCamel/52842_1?$300$

And raise you

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71bz%2B04-qhL._SL1500_.jpg

eek
15th August 2016, 12:22
I'll see your

And raise you

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71bz%2B04-qhL._SL1500_.jpg

As its Christmas you need lights

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61X20rGNTQL._SL1001_.jpg

Not going for those though. I'm going to see what I can find on Aliexpress once I'm outside clientco....

mudskipper
15th August 2016, 13:04
I have emailed CH - will report back when I hear from them.

northernladuk
15th August 2016, 13:09
As its Christmas you need lights

Not going for those though. I'm going to see what I can find on Aliexpress once I'm outside clientco....

Some cool stuff to go for on there.

I was going to order the Christmas Morph Suit but if Mudskipper turns up in the Sexy Mrs Claus outfit again it could get rather, erm, inappropriate so have had to put that idea on hold. :emb

eek
15th August 2016, 13:16
Found mine

https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB17XHPKXXXXXahXVXXq6xXFXXXr/Men-Cosplay-Adult-Fancy-Dress-Funny-sexy-Banana-Costume-novelty-halloween-costume-Christmas-carnival-party-decorations.jpg_640x640.jpg

mudskipper
15th August 2016, 14:25
Counting House requires min spend of £1K for the dining room this year (it was £300 last year IIRC).

Or we can go for the club room for min spend £250 - but it's likely to be squished...

Anyone know what the bill actually came to last year?

DaveB
15th August 2016, 14:33
Counting House requires min spend of £1K for the dining room this year (it was £300 last year IIRC).

Or we can go for the club room for min spend £250 - but it's likely to be squished...

Sounds like they'd rather not have us there. We clearly dont spend as much as the banking mob blowing their Xmas bonuses.

eek
15th August 2016, 14:35

How many attended last year? You probably need a guaranteed 30-40 people to spend that sort of money...

northernladuk
15th August 2016, 14:51

I know what mine came to but that's not going to be any help :emb:emb:emb :igmc:

mudskipper
15th August 2016, 14:53
How many attended last year? You probably need a guaranteed 30-40 people to spend that sort of money...

Dining room only takes 'up to 30'. Even with 20 people, that's £50 a head - which is a lot of pie and booze.

I really have no idea what we spent last year. I think we'll have to pass, or go for the club room and overflow.

Unless anyone can recommend another venue for 15-20 of us?

DaveB
15th August 2016, 14:59
Dining room only takes 'up to 30'. Even with 20 people, that's £50 a head - which is a lot of pie and booze.

I really have no idea what we spent last year. I think we'll have to pass, or go for the club room and overflow.

Unless anyone can recommend another venue for 15-20 of us?

I'll ask MrsB to inquire with some of her CAMRA cronies and see if anyone can help.

eek
15th August 2016, 15:11
I'll ask MrsB to inquire with some of her CAMRA cronies and see if anyone can help.

Private Dining (http://www.browns-restaurants.co.uk/restaurants/london/mayfair/privatedining) although 20 may be a bit tight from memory... - used to work above there going back 20 years (:eek)

mudskipper
15th August 2016, 15:32
Private Dining (http://www.browns-restaurants.co.uk/restaurants/london/mayfair/privatedining) although 20 may be a bit tight from memory... - used to work above there going back 20 years (:eek)

20 probably OK - there were 18 of us last year. I think 30 would be a hell of a squish in that dining room - it was about right last year. So 1K spend (excluding mandatory 12.5% gratuity!) is a push for all but the most seasoned drinkers.

But we need somewhere that's happy for us to rock up and order from the menu on the night, with not everyone necessarily eating. I think a sit down meal isn't going to work.

DaveB
15th August 2016, 17:26
Couple of recommendations via MrsB

https://www.nicholsonspubs.co.uk/restaurants/london/thewhitelioncoventgardenlondon

Covent Garden

Ye Old Watling (http://www.nicholsonspubs.co.uk/restaurants/london/yeoldewatlingwatlingstreetlondon)

Between bank and St. Paul's. Both good beer and food.

northernladuk
15th August 2016, 17:38
Why don't we go here.
http://www.oxotower.co.uk/who/oxo-tower-restaurant-bar-brasserie/

If admin pays we will all wear a T-shirt saying 'Admin took me up the Oxo Tower and I loved it'

mudskipper
16th August 2016, 07:02
Have told Counting House that we won't be availing ourselves of their facilities.

Will do some research...

SimonMac
16th August 2016, 08:19
Have told Counting House that we won't be availing ourselves of their facilities.

Will do some research...

Will Cojak be able to find anywhere else, granted it was always hit and miss if she found the Counting House?

Is this biggest crisis to hit CUK socail since the abolistion of the Pie Platter :eek:

eek
16th August 2016, 08:30
Will Cojak be able to find anywhere else, granted it was always hit and miss if she found the Counting House?

Is this biggest crisis to hit CUK socail since the abolistion of the Pie Platter :eek:

Shall we just go for Leeds and upstairs at the Brewery Tap. She can find that.....

mudskipper
16th August 2016, 08:36
Shall we just go for Leeds and upstairs at the Brewery Tap. She can find that.....

It's a thought - most of the people who have said 'I'll be there' aren't London based.

eek
16th August 2016, 08:43
List of option for Leeds can be found The Best Places for Private Parties in Leeds | Leeds-List (http://leeds-list.com/food-and-drink/the-best-and-most-unusual-places-to-hold-private-parties-in-leeds/)

SimonMac Screen 5 at the Everyman sounds great for a birthday party for your lot....

And the Brewery Tap would meet our requirements

Radisson Blu is £72.25 a night...

barrydidit
16th August 2016, 08:53
List of option for Leeds can be found The Best Places for Private Parties in Leeds | Leeds-List (http://leeds-list.com/food-and-drink/the-best-and-most-unusual-places-to-hold-private-parties-in-leeds/)

SimonMac Screen 5 at the Everyman sounds great for a birthday party for your lot....

I'm a bit surprised to see Smokestack top of that list - it's the only place I've been refused entry on multiple occasions. Unless you approach with the solemnity of a state funeral their bouncers accuse you of being too drunk. A discussion about the subjective nature of the term 'too drunk' doesn't help either. :laugh

Everyman option sounds good :smile

mudskipper
16th August 2016, 09:11
Ship and Shovell can accommodate us in their upstairs room.

They have a minimum spend, but haven't told me what it is (I have asked).

Their kitchen is shut, so we can't order food from the menu, but they can do us a buffet, so sounds like a goer (depending on the min spend) if people are happy to chuck a tenner in towards the food?

northernladuk
16th August 2016, 09:20
Do we get a receipt?

mudskipper
16th August 2016, 09:22
Do we get a receipt?

Did you get a receipt last year? :rolleyes:

eek
16th August 2016, 09:23

Their kitchen is shut, so we can't order food from the menu, but they can do us a buffet, so sounds like a goer (depending on the min spend) if people are happy to chuck a tenner in towards the food?

It's a bit of a faff to get from there to the premier inn at Aldgate though (circle / district line from Embankment to Tower Hill) and other premier inns are rather more expensive...

How many are actually coming from London and would Leeds actually be better and cheaper?

SimonMac
16th August 2016, 09:26

I will ask my accountant to see if its ok

SimonMac
16th August 2016, 09:27
It's a bit of a faff to get from there to the premier inn at Aldgate though (circle / district line from Embankment to Tower Hill) and other premier inns are rather more expensive...

How many are actually coming from London and would Leeds actually be better and cheaper?

There are other hotels than the PI, come on you are a contractor, splash the cash!

(this has nothing to do with my desire to get away from the kids for a weekend in London)

eek
16th August 2016, 09:32
There are other hotels than the PI, come on you are a contractor, splash the cash!

(this has nothing to do with my desire to get away from the kids for a weekend in London)

Given that I'm only staying one night I will end up in the crappier rooms at the decent hotels - if they offer a room at all. Hence a Premier Inn is a safe option....

Personally if we are doing Covent Garden I would probably go for the Travelodge behind Marylebone station (its quiet) with breakfast (file:///C:/Users/bthompson010/Downloads/WG%20Breakfast%20Menu%20weekdays%2018%20April%2020 16.pdf.pdf)at the Landmark (the walk to breakfast in the Landmark is longer than the walk from the travelodge to the Landmark)

And a google map view to show what I mean

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Marylebone+Station/@51.5221876,-0.1636293,3a,75y,307.74h,103.21t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sL1ZQQWRjLA6ADAkFazzTnQ!2e0!6s% 2F%2Fgeo3.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DL1ZQQWRjLA6AD AkFazzTnQ%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_ sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26y aw%3D248.23206%26pitch%3D0!7i13312!8i6656!4m5!3m4! 1s0x48761ad700f20f75:0x97252678a201f826!8m2!3d51.5 225573!4d-0.1632761!6m1!1e1

mudskipper
16th August 2016, 09:32

I think we'll get a better turnout in London - last year more than half the attendees were London (or commutable) based.
PI Westminster bridge is walkable from S&S and there's probably closer options. It's a nice little pub.

The Ship & Shovell Pub in 1-3 Craven Passage, London (http://shipandshovell.co.uk/)

Let's see what min spend they come back with - might rule itself out.

DaveB
16th August 2016, 09:34

I'd be happy with Leeds to be honest. Less cost and less faffing about to get there. If the vote is for London then I'll go with that.

Buffet sounds easier to manage than ordering from a menu when its busy.

Alias
16th August 2016, 10:36
How about Reading?

eek
16th August 2016, 10:54
How about Reading?

Exactly how successfully was the Reading meet?

mudskipper
16th August 2016, 10:57
Exactly how successfully was the Reading meet?

Don't think we've had a CUK one.

Ah, Counting House have come back with an offer of a section of the gallery. Sounds like a plan - but will see what S&S say first.

NickFitz
16th August 2016, 17:24
Aldgate PI booked :)

eek
16th August 2016, 17:33
Aldgate PI booked :)

I'm waiting to get a confirmed location before booking any hotel. As I said it's a faff to get to that pi from covent garden if that's where we end up

mudskipper
16th August 2016, 17:40
I'm waiting to get a confirmed location before booking any hotel. As I said it's a faff to get to that pi from covent garden if that's where we end up

Covent Garden wasn't on the cards :)

I have just confirmed the gallery at CH - seems like the easiest option.

So PI Aldgate is perfect :)

mudskipper
16th August 2016, 17:45

Booked :)

NickFitz
16th August 2016, 18:36

The Harp is in Covent Garden, and the Ship and Shovell is only just over the road from there isn't it? :confused:

Anyway, pies all round it is! :yay:

eek
16th August 2016, 18:53
The Harp is in Covent Garden, and the Ship and Shovell is only just over the road from there isn't it? :confused:

Anyway, pies all round it is! :yay:

+1 on the confusion. I thought being a Southerner MS would know where Covent Garden was in regards to those pubs (literally a 5 minute walk from the Ship)..

mudskipper
16th August 2016, 19:02
+1 on the confusion. I thought being a Southerner MS would know where Covent Garden was in regards to those pubs (literally a 5 minute walk from the Ship)..

Harp was an idea but never a contender. S&S isn't Covent Garden. Nowhere's very far in London...

Anyway - we're at Counting House

NickFitz
16th August 2016, 23:50

I could do it in three, unless the crossing was against me on Strand ;)

rd409
17th August 2016, 09:47
I've just voted to attend. This is going to be my first CUK meet.
Hoping I will be welcomed in the club.

:happy

SimonMac
17th August 2016, 09:52

Wear a Christmas jumper, bring a secret santa gift (<£5 or stolen from ClientCo) and you will fit in fine

mudskipper
17th August 2016, 09:57

Excellent!

NickFitz
17th August 2016, 12:06

:yay:

eek
20th August 2016, 14:40
hotel booked..

mudskipper
20th August 2016, 16:57
After all that, it turned out they wanted £10 deposit per head to reserve us a table. So I've booked for 15, but said we may up it nearer the time. Or squash in :) I did reiterate that we would not be pre-ordering the Christmas menu, and they said that's fine.

vwdan
23rd September 2016, 14:55
Unlikely I'll be there as I've got a miniature VWDan due for arrival just before (Jesus Christ, it's not even here and it's already fudging my social life)

DaveB
23rd September 2016, 14:58
Unlikely I'll be there as I've got a miniature VWDan due for arrival just before (Jesus Christ, it's not even here and it's already fudging my social life)

Sounds like direction and control to me :D

mudskipper
23rd September 2016, 15:01

Congratulations to you and MrsDan!

:cry3:

NickFitz
2nd October 2016, 13:12

Congratulations! :yay: :banana: :yay:

Bring them along, I'm sure there's a quite corner you could stick a crib in :D

mudskipper
2nd October 2016, 15:33
If anyone fancies a post-party brekkie at the Duck & Waffle, let SiMac know - he's gonna try and make a booking.

DaveB
2nd October 2016, 15:55
If anyone fancies a post-party brekkie at the Duck & Waffle, let SiMac know - he's gonna try and make a booking.

I'd be uo for it, not sure MrsB will though, doesn't do heights :)

We've already booked a table at Hawksmoor for the Saturday night.

mudskipper
2nd October 2016, 17:46
I'd be uo for it, not sure MrsB will though, doesn't do heights :)

We've already booked a table at Hawksmoor for the Saturday night.

Let Si know if one/both of you want a booking - it seems to get booked up pretty quick!

You might want to check the menu first for MrsB

https://duckandwaffle.com/menu/breakfast#menu

DaveB
2nd October 2016, 18:03
Let Si know if one/both of you want a booking - it seems to get booked up pretty quick!

You might want to check the menu first for MrsB

https://duckandwaffle.com/menu/breakfast#menu

Had a look earlier. Given that she's likely to have been on the beer the night before she's probably not going to worry about too much, just avoid the smoked salmon and kedgeree.

SimonMac
3rd October 2016, 08:19

Ah so the message on skype was an actual heads up :laugh

Think we can't book until the 10th (two months before) so will put a reminder in for next week.

As a warning I am bringing the family down for a weekend in London so will have the stepkids with me, but they are usually well behaved :)

northernladuk
3rd October 2016, 08:21
As a warning I am bringing the family down for a weekend in London so will have the stepkids with me, but they are usually well behaved :)

I'm sure we can wind them up in to a frenzy and then bid you a good day;)

DaveB
3rd October 2016, 08:24
Ah so the message on skype was an actual heads up :laugh

Think we can't book until the 10th (two months before) so will put a reminder in for next week.

Sunny D and Redbull's all round then :)

SimonMac
3rd October 2016, 10:22
Sunny D and Redbull's all round then :)

Seeing as how hung over most of us will be are you that brave!

Bee
3rd October 2016, 12:17
I'm not going because some of bastards that wants my ban will be there.
I could be kidnaped and put me in one of the dungeons in the UK medieval castles for life.:suicide:

DaveB
3rd October 2016, 12:40
Seeing as how hung over most of us will be are you that brave!

Who says I'll be there?

I'll just leave a tab and instructions behind the bar :D

northernladuk
3rd October 2016, 13:00
Who says I'll be there?

I'll just leave a tab and instructions behind the bar :D

LSD? That will do the job nicely.

NickFitz
4th October 2016, 05:46
I could be kidnaped and put me in one of the dungeons in the UK medieval castles for live.:suicide:

It'll be the Christmas truce that evening :)

northernladuk
4th October 2016, 09:39
I could be kidnaped and put me in one of the dungeons in the UK medieval castles for life.:suicide:

That's a shame. I'd bought your secret santa already as well...

http://www.happydazeshop.co.uk/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/600x600/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/g/a/ga015_white.jpg

I wonder if there will be anyone else there I can give it to??? :rolleyes:

Scruff
4th October 2016, 09:48
I could be kidnaped and put me in one of the dungeons in the UK medieval castles for life.:suicide::p

Wishful thinking....

"Sticks and stones may break my bones,
But whips and chains excite me!" :p

I am sure that NLUK will be nice to you, on the night?

LondonManc
4th October 2016, 10:29
Just checked and it's a Friday night. On that basis, I'm out; you lot aren't worth an extra night's hotel stay.

kevpuk
4th October 2016, 10:36
As above ^^ can't do Friday nights - at home with the loving family :)

northernladuk
4th October 2016, 11:18
Just checked and it's a Friday night. On that basis, I'm out; you lot aren't worth an extra night's hotel stay.

You can stay in my room if we split the cost. Top and tails only and other normal men sharing rules apply OFC.

Bee
4th October 2016, 17:13
:p

Wishful thinking....

"Sticks and stones may break my bones,
But whips and chains excite me!" :p

I am sure that NLUK will be nice to you, on the night?

:suicide:

Scruff
4th October 2016, 20:18
:suicide:

...is Painless...

SimonMac
10th October 2016, 08:19

Anymore for anymore?

eek
10th October 2016, 09:47
Anymore for anymore?

Not me sadly, need to get back home..

mudskipper
28th October 2016, 07:50
Six weeks to go!

Time to think about your Secret Santa.

LondonManc
28th October 2016, 07:51
You can stay in my room if we split the cost. Top and tails only and other normal men sharing rules apply OFC.

Just seen your kind offer but WFH is looking likely on the Friday anyway. :D

northernladuk
28th October 2016, 08:01
Just seen your kind offer but WFH is looking likely on the Friday anyway. :D

Ugh so you'd pick the intimate company of a Mod over me?

LondonManc
28th October 2016, 08:09
Ugh so you'd pick the intimate company of a Mod over me?

:D

Very good. He doesn't use his teeth, so yes. ;)

eek
29th October 2016, 16:41
Backup secret santa bought

greenlake
29th October 2016, 16:50
Backup secret santa bought

http://img.buzzfeed.com/buzzfeed-static/static/2013-12/enhanced/webdr03/13/14/enhanced-buzz-30152-1386962768-1.jpg

northernladuk
4th November 2016, 11:57
Secret Santa has arrived and I'm under budget even before the tax savings putting it through the company. Just to book the train and hotel and I'm set!!! Woooot.

greenlake
4th November 2016, 16:15
Secret Santa has arrived and I'm under budget

http://i.imgur.com/oK3bVi3.jpg

SimonMac
5th November 2016, 12:58
Secret Santa sorted!

Just told MrsMac that she will have to partake too

northernladuk
5th November 2016, 12:59
Secret Santa sorted!

The mind boggles.

SimonMac
5th November 2016, 14:54
Are we doing xmas jumpers this year?

mudskipper
5th November 2016, 17:03
Are we doing xmas jumpers this year?

Indeed.

mudskipper
9th November 2016, 07:02
One month till party time!

Are we all excited?!?

:cool2:

LondonManc
9th November 2016, 09:32
Secret Santa sorted!

Are those two statements related? :eek:

northernladuk
9th November 2016, 12:23
cojak, DaveB, eek, mudskipper, NickFitz, northernladuk, Pondlife, rd409, Scruff, SimonMac

Look at the attendees! With possibly one exception there is reason enough to pull your fingers out and come along. Great set of peeps so will be a good time.

Very sad and notable exception seems to be TF though :( and no Admin....

Get yourselves down.

mudskipper
9th November 2016, 14:02
Look at the attendees! With possibly one exception there is reason enough to pull your fingers out and come along. Great set of peeps so will be a good time.

Get yourselves down.

Indeed, I've booked for 20 and paid deposit. You wouldn't want to see me cry.

eek
9th November 2016, 14:19

:wave:

DaveB
9th November 2016, 15:54

Get yourselves down.

Admin did say he was coming this year, but I'm not going to hold my breath (or wait for him to get the beers in). :rolleyes:

SimonMac
17th November 2016, 11:20
✔ Hotel booked
✔ Train booked
✔ Secret Santa bought and wrapped

Just need to sort out a jumper and I am all set

Antman
18th November 2016, 13:12
Um'ing and ah'ing about going to that London.

Any recommendations for hotels for Northern tightwads?

northernladuk
18th November 2016, 13:14

You can top and tail with me if you want.

SimonMac
18th November 2016, 13:29

Everyone is staying at the Premier Inn at Aldgate.

Which is why I am in the Holiday Inn

Antman
18th November 2016, 13:30
You can top and tail with me if you want.

Sally army?

mudskipper
18th November 2016, 18:13

If you're too tight to pay for a hotel, you can go partying till dawn with Tarbera instead. But a hotel will probably be cheaper! :laugh

northernladuk
18th November 2016, 18:33
If you're too tight to pay for a hotel, you can go partying till dawn with Tarbera instead. But a hotel will probably be cheaper! :laugh

And less painful.

ladymuck
23rd November 2016, 10:07
Thought I may as well resurface after years in the wilderness and show my face...

mudskipper
23rd November 2016, 10:29
Thought I may as well resurface after years in the wilderness and show my face...

:yay:

SimonMac
23rd November 2016, 10:40

:hug:

NickFitz
23rd November 2016, 12:06

:wave: :hug:

SimonMac
26th November 2016, 09:11
Less than two weeks, and numbers are slowly increasing!

DietCokeMan
28th November 2016, 09:23
I'm only a newbie but I will already be in London, plus the counting house does a nice pint of London Pride, only problem is the wife will be with me? are they aloud?

DaveB
28th November 2016, 09:40
I'm only a newbie but I will already be in London, plus the counting house does a nice pint of London Pride, only problem is the wife will be with me? are they aloud?

Depends if you gag her or not.

But yes, wives/girlfriends/boyfriends/companions of negotiable affection are welcome.

DietCokeMan
28th November 2016, 09:50
Depends if you gag her or not.

What I do to her in the bedroom is my business! :smokin

northernladuk
28th November 2016, 09:53
What I do to her in the bedroom is my business! :smokin

Not when she is constantly complaining to me how crap it is it's not.

DietCokeMan
28th November 2016, 09:57
Not when she is constantly complaining to me how crap it is it's not.

Not you as well, maybe I wont bring her! :ohwell

northernladuk
28th November 2016, 10:03
Not you as well, maybe I wont bring her! :ohwell

Lol. You'll fit in fine. Get yourselves down. Don't forget your secret Santa and Xmas jumper!

Antman
29th November 2016, 19:30
What time is the meet-up? Looking at WFH and train down in the aft/evening.

Plus, is there a secret santa? how do I get on the list?

northernladuk
29th November 2016, 20:14
No list for secret Santa. Just bring one with you.

mudskipper
29th November 2016, 21:14
What time is the meet-up? Looking at WFH and train down in the aft/evening.

Plus, is there a secret santa? how do I get on the list?

6ish onwards, although no doubt some will get there earlier. Secret Santa about a fiver - wrap it up!

Antman
1st December 2016, 21:50
I'm in.

SimonMac
1st December 2016, 22:08
I'm in.

:banana:

mudskipper
2nd December 2016, 07:46
One week to go!!!

Just to remind people that we've got a min spend to reach - so if you can order drinks to the table rather than at the bar, they'll 'count'.

Ta muchly.

SimonMac
2nd December 2016, 09:52
One week to go!!!

Just to remind people that we've got a min spend to reach - so if you can order drinks to the table rather than at the bar, they'll 'count'.

Ta muchly.

What we like for numbers now? I know its slowly increasing

eek
2nd December 2016, 10:08
Mrs Eek is busy that weekend so I won't be asking permission at any point.

The only thing I need to check is what time train do I need to catch up north and how much shopping can I do first...

And it makes no difference. Shifting days round so in London at 11am next week. Except for a coffee at 3pm I'm free to do shopping all Friday afternoon.

mudskipper
2nd December 2016, 13:53
What we like for numbers now? I know its slowly increasing

No idea. I paid deposit for 15, but think I've reserved for 20.

NickFitz
2nd December 2016, 16:17
One week to go!!!

Ta muchly.

This time next week, my train will just have "arrived into" (to use the peculiar vernacular of train announcers) London St Pancras :yay:

Should be at the hotel by five, heading up to the pub shortly after :cheers:

NickFitz
2nd December 2016, 16:18
No idea. I paid deposit for 15, but think I've reserved for 20.

We'll all drink for three if necessary :D

SimonMac
2nd December 2016, 20:25
This time next week, my train will just have "arrived into" (to use the peculiar vernacular of train announcers) London St Pancras :yay:

Should be at the hotel by five, heading up to the pub shortly after :cheers:

This time next week I'll be shouting at Mrs Mac for not being ready yet........ still

administrator
5th December 2016, 15:25
What's the final count then? I am in by the looks of it :tongue

SimonMac
5th December 2016, 15:32

I get:

Mudskipper
Eek
SimonMac
+1
DaveB
+ 1
NLUK
Pondlife
NickFitz
rd409
Cojak
Scruff
Antman
LadyMuck
Suity
Admin

mudskipper
5th December 2016, 15:44
I get:

Mudskipper
Eek
SimonMac
+1
DaveB
+ 1
NLUK
Pondlife
NickFitz
rd409
Cojak
Scruff
Antman
LadyMuck
Suity
Admin

I'll be nagging Alias too :)

Edit: Tarbera's in I think

What about MF and his sidekick Mordac?

DaveB
5th December 2016, 15:45
Train gets in at about 2:00pm and heading to the hotel from there.

I suspect a scenario similar to that outlined by SM, but will endevour to get to the pub before last orders :eyes

SimonMac
5th December 2016, 15:54
Train gets in at about 2:00pm and heading to the hotel from there.

I suspect a scenario similar to that outlined by SM, but will endevour to get to the pub before last orders :eyes

I have graciously suggested that MrsMac gets her hair done professionally the morning before we come down, absolutely no other reason than saving drinking time for later on!

mudskipper
5th December 2016, 16:18
I have graciously suggested that MrsMac gets her hair done professionally the morning before we come down, absolutely no other reason than saving drinking time for later on!

Blimey - I hope people aren't making an effort. :emb

eek
5th December 2016, 16:50

I think Simon wants an arrival time nearer 6pm than 10pm....

SimonMac
5th December 2016, 17:43

MrsMac is, I may comb any excess food out of my beard

cojak
5th December 2016, 19:37
Well I was hoping to attend as I did last year, but sadly I'm not well enough to travel down to London this year.

But next year Rodders!

northernladuk
5th December 2016, 20:03
Well I was hoping to attend as I did last year, but sadly I'm not well enough to travel down to London this year.

But next year Rodders!

Noooooo :(

eek
5th December 2016, 20:38
Noooooo :(

+1

DaveB
5th December 2016, 20:40
MrsMac is, I may comb any excess food out of my beard

WSMS +1

DaveB
5th December 2016, 20:41

But next year Rodders!

:frown

But you're the only one light enough for me to pick up and carry down the street!

SimonMac
5th December 2016, 21:02

But next year Rodders!

Noooooooooooooo :(

ladymuck
5th December 2016, 21:06
I don't know which xmas jumper to wear. Sexy Ms Santa or Star Wars?

EDIT: bearing in mind "sexy" is subjective and the outfit may not suit the wearer

SimonMac
5th December 2016, 21:13
I don't know which xmas jumper to wear. Sexy Ms Santa or Star Wars?

EDIT: bearing in mind "sexy" is subjective and the outfit may not suit the wearer

Why not combine the two

http://i.share.pho.to/3dde7d22_o.jpeg

ladymuck
5th December 2016, 21:17
Why not combine the two

I don't think I could wear two jumpers. And I most certainly don't look like that, even if everyone has beer goggles. :eek

SimonMac
5th December 2016, 21:32
I don't think I could wear two jumpers. And I most certainly don't look like that, even if everyone has beer goggles. :eek

It's ok, we're not choosy

mudskipper
5th December 2016, 22:17

But next year Rodders!

:( :hug:

We'll have one for you.

mudskipper
5th December 2016, 22:20
Just to set expectations -

Have had the annual "Please can I have your food orders" email from CH. Pointed out that we want to order on the night (as agreed when booked). They're fine with that, but have warned that there might be a wait, and that some things could potentially sell out.

NickFitz
6th December 2016, 02:06

But next year Rodders!

Bummer :( :hug:

NickFitz
6th December 2016, 02:06

:yay: :banana: :yay:

MarillionFan
6th December 2016, 12:29
I'll be nagging Alias too :)

Edit: Tarbera's in I think

What about MF and his sidekick Mordac?

Not sure yet. Had a crap month, I'll see what mood I'm in on the day.

mudskipper
6th December 2016, 13:45

eek
6th December 2016, 18:04

I will refer you to my comment from last week

Hell of a long winded excuse for not going to the Christmas do

but if you don't want to go, there is little point coming. would be nice to put a face to you though....

NickFitz
6th December 2016, 18:41

Ah, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on :D

eek
7th December 2016, 10:05
Secret santa sorted (again). No expense or effort made as should be the case

ladymuck
7th December 2016, 10:30
I've got two SS's. One's tulip, the other's worse

eek
7th December 2016, 11:09

Mine are both mostly suitable for particular people who I know will be there..

No ducks are involved for those who always assume I am talking about them....

DaveB
7th December 2016, 11:19

We have 3, MrsB got carried away.

Given where they were purchased and the amount paid for them I fully expect at least one of them to fall out of the box in pieces when it is opened.

northernladuk
7th December 2016, 11:26
Mine are both mostly suitable for particular people who I know will be there..

No ducks are involved for those who always assume I am talking about them....

Same here. Hope we aren't thinking of the same people

NickFitz
7th December 2016, 13:15
Given where they were purchased and the amount paid for them I fully expect at least one of them to fall out of the box in pieces when it is opened.

As it should be :yay:

mudskipper
7th December 2016, 13:39
Mine is a quality gift. I'm sure its recipient will be delighted.

DaveB
7th December 2016, 13:59

MrsB's effort level has been downgraded since the dress she ordered turned out to be nothing like the one in the picture and the wrong size. The earlier suggestion of boots, jeans and a sparkley / Xmas jumper is being re-evaluated.

SimonMac
7th December 2016, 14:48
Mine is a quality gift. I'm sure its recipient will be delighted.

MrsMac has picked a SS gift based on what she things I do at ClientCo, lord have mercy on who ever gets it!

SimonMac
7th December 2016, 14:48
MrsB's effort level has been downgraded since the dress she ordered turned out to be nothing like the one in the picture and the wrong size. The earlier suggestion of boots, jeans and a sparkley / Xmas jumper is being re-evaluated.

There is still a full day of shopping before the do!

DaveB
7th December 2016, 14:51
There is still a full day of shopping before the do!

Nope, cos she has an OU coursework deadline at 12:00pm tomorrow and is in full flap mode to get it done in time.

A coffee and gossip session has been arranged with a friend for tomorrow afternoon that may turn into a shopping expedition but the time available will severely limit the potential damage.

DaveB
7th December 2016, 14:52
MrsMac has picked a SS gift based on what she things I do at ClientCo, lord have mercy on who ever gets it!

A box of kleenex and some hand lotion then?

SimonMac
7th December 2016, 14:53
Nope, cos she has an OU coursework deadline at 12:00pm tomorrow and is in full flap mode to get it done in time.

A coffee and gossip session has been arranged with a friend for tomorrow afternoon that may turn into a shopping expedition but the time available will severely limit the potential damage.

:laugh

Poor deluded fool!

DaveB
7th December 2016, 14:57
:laugh

Poor deluded fool!

Not really, the closest decent shopping location to us is Meadowhell and that's the best part of an hour away without traffic. That leaves her 2 or 3 hours shopping time at most; in a place she hates; with shops she mostly doesn't actually like.

Pondlife
7th December 2016, 15:06

But next year Rodders!

This makes me glum :(

Hope you're better asap!

DaveB
7th December 2016, 15:10

But next year Rodders!

Anyone for a New Years bash at Cojaks place then?

SimonMac
7th December 2016, 19:07
Seeing as we couldn't get into D&W for breakfast on Saturday, how about this:

https://www.thepoke.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/478f741998bf4832af42b2243471e159.jpg

northernladuk
7th December 2016, 19:24

I could ask the missus if she's got something to lend MrsB. Might not be her normal style but she might like a change....

northernladuk
8th December 2016, 10:52
Pondy.... Do I need to bring my shades down or have you dumbed it down a little this year?

Pondlife
8th December 2016, 11:30
Pondy.... Do I need to bring my shades down or have you dumbed it down a little this year?

Well, I want to try to avoid the awkwardness of us both turning up dressed the same, so do I need to go shopping for a new shirt?

Unfortunately the santawear I have ordered for this year (much more tasteful) hasn't arrived yet so not sure whether to give the monstrosity another outing. Assuming it still fits of course :o

northernladuk
8th December 2016, 12:05
Well, I want to try to avoid the awkwardness of us both turning up dressed the same, so do I need to go shopping for a new shirt?

Unfortunately the santawear I have ordered for this year (much more tasteful) hasn't arrived yet so not sure whether to give the monstrosity another outing. Assuming it still fits of course :o

Well I'm in last year's teeshirt. Cost me 4.99 so I'll be in it for the next 10 Xmas do's at least.

Erm.. What's this 'more' tasteful?

Am gonna laugh if we've got a collective income of over 1.2 million p/a and we are all wearing the same as last year. Bloody contractors.

Pondlife
8th December 2016, 12:24

Right, that's done it! f'ck you, I'm wearing it now! Don't forget your :glasses

eek
8th December 2016, 13:45
Well I'm in last year's teeshirt. Cost me 4.99 so I'll be in it for the next 10 Xmas do's at least.

Am gonna laugh if we've got a collective income of over 1.2 million p/a and we are all wearing the same as last year. Bloody contractors.

It'll be the same as 2014 in my case - wasn't there last year...

eek
8th December 2016, 13:45

That reminds me must bring the pineapple sunglasses.

northernladuk
8th December 2016, 14:35
That reminds me must bring the pineapple sunglasses.

Erm.... Why?

mudskipper
8th December 2016, 15:17

Too busy invoicing to go shopping. I had good intentions, but have run out of time.

ladymuck
8th December 2016, 15:22
Too busy invoicing to go shopping. I had good intentions, but have run out of time.

Sounds like poor prioritisation to me

eek
8th December 2016, 15:27

That's what tomorrow is for and I'm invoicing at the same time.

London noonish go shopping, coffee, check into hotel and then hit the pub

administrator
8th December 2016, 16:23
I won't be making an effort as usual :D I do have a Christmas jumper though, I will see if it has any Xmas stains on it this evening, it might be fit for wearing tomorrow. Will be SS shopping at lunch time tomorrow at the office before shooting home to get the slow train into Marylebone. Will try and get there for 6'ish. Won't be staying too late though as last train back is 00:15 I think and if I miss that I am fecked. I am sure we will be able to imbibe the required bar bill by then though!

SimonMac
8th December 2016, 16:26
Child has been vomitting today, which means no school tomorrow so can leave early and "work" on the train :banana:

ladymuck
8th December 2016, 16:33
On Saturday I have to drive dahn sarf to visit parents, sit through some kid's Christmas fillum with my god son, and attend my grandmother's 95th birthday dinner. Therefore, I will not be imbibing of too much party juice :rollin:

NickFitz
8th December 2016, 16:44
I won't be making an effort as usual :D I do have a Christmas jumper though, I will see if it has any Xmas stains on it this evening, it might be fit for wearing tomorrow. Will be SS shopping at lunch time tomorrow at the office before shooting home to get the slow train into Marylebone. Will try and get there for 6'ish. Won't be staying too late though as last train back is 00:15 I think and if I miss that I am fecked. I am sure we will be able to imbibe the required bar bill by then though!

Still vacancies at some nearby Premier Inns in case of emergency, though Aldgate is fully booked :)

DaveB
8th December 2016, 16:48
Still vacancies at some nearby Premier Inns in case of emergency, though Aldgate is fully booked :)

Indeed, we missed the boat on that one so are in the Apex by Tower Hill

SimonMac
8th December 2016, 17:09
Indeed, we missed the boat on that one so are in the Apex by Tower Hill

You just booked it for the duck didn't you!

NickFitz
8th December 2016, 17:39
As I spent ages working this out from things like 3D station plans and Street View: if you're travelling eastbound to Aldgate East, you'll come out of the exit closest to the hotel by going up the stairs nearest the back of the train and crossing over the lines to the exit on the westbound side. Saves ditzing about waiting for the lights on Whitechapel High Street :)

(Westbound? You can probably work it out.)

You'll emerge at a 45° angle to the crossroads; turn 135° right to head down Leman Street in the direction of the hotel, which is on the second road on the left.

MarillionFan
8th December 2016, 19:23
Still undecided. Need to get out and about & get my mind off stuff.

Son diagnosed last week as being on Autistic Spectrum and severe ADHD & something else unknown, and confirmed by the head NHS paediatrician today with recommendation to dose him up.

Excluded twice in a week now, so too gutted to do anything to be honest, so I'll probably just talk about this crap all night if I come (and not champagne) so don't want to bore everyone.

MarillionFan
8th December 2016, 19:25
As I spent ages working this out from things like 3D station plans and Street View: if you're travelling eastbound to Aldgate East, you'll come out of the exit closest to the hotel by going up the stairs nearest the back of the train and crossing over the lines to the exit on the westbound side. Saves ditzing about waiting for the lights on Whitechapel High Street :)

You'll emerge at a 45° angle to the crossroads; turn 135° right to head down Leman Street in the direction of the hotel, which is on the second road on the left.

Where can I land my helicopter?

SueEllen
8th December 2016, 20:20
Where can I land my helicopter?

Model helicopters don't take up that much space surely?

eek
8th December 2016, 20:30

You are however far more likely to end up at aldgate (met and circle lines) rather than aldgate east (hammersmith and city line only).

mudskipper
8th December 2016, 20:39
... don't want to bore everyone.

Never stopped you before. :)

Sounds like you could do with a night out - come along. :hug:

SimonMac
8th December 2016, 21:17
The first pack of the suitcase is underway, we are only going for a fecking weekend!

SueEllen
8th December 2016, 21:31
The first pack of the suitcase is underway, we are only going for a fecking weekend!

There are no shops in London if you forget things...

SimonMac
9th December 2016, 09:08
Call scheduled in for when I'm supposed to be getting on the train has been pulled, kids are off school so nothing stopping us getting in to London early!

Babysitter still not due till half seven so won't get to the drinks any earlier but will hopefully be less stressed

eek
9th December 2016, 09:14
Walking to station via barbers assuming it's quiet otherwise walking to station

DaveB
9th December 2016, 10:22
Trying to dodge conf call requests atm.

Cat has been deposited at the Cattery.

Heading for the train in about 40 minutes.

ETA London 13:07

eek
9th December 2016, 11:05
Trying to dodge conf call requests atm.

Cat has been deposited at the Cattery.

Heading for the train in about 40 minutes.

ETA London 13:07

12:50 but lunch (mate) and coffee (agent to expense the train) to do before hitting the hotel

norrahe
9th December 2016, 11:43
Enjoy!

northernladuk
9th December 2016, 13:12
Man Down. As I sit on my throne surveying my white tiled kingdom for the umpteenth time it's dawned on me it's not going to work so I'm going have cancel tonight. I'm absolutely gutted :cry2: Sorry everyone.

SimonMac
9th December 2016, 13:16
Man Down. As I sit on my throne surveying my white tiled kingdom for the umpteenth time it's dawned on me it's not going to work so I'm going have cancel tonight. I'm absolutely gutted :cry2: Sorry everyone.

You can still stick a few quid behind the bar though, don't want you missing out altogether!

administrator
9th December 2016, 13:42

Nooooooo! That's really bad news, was looking forward to meeting you. I had the "Dummies guide to being nice to people on forums" all wrapped up for you as well :laugh

Hope you get better soon!

WTFH
9th December 2016, 13:56
Nooooooo! That's really bad news, was looking forward to meeting you. I had the "Dummies guide to being nice to people on forums" all wrapped up for you as well :laugh

Hope you get better soon!

If NLUK can't make it, maybe you could ask his accountant.

NickFitz
9th December 2016, 14:04
You are however far more likely to end up at aldgate (met and circle lines) rather than aldgate east (hammersmith and city line only).

And the District Line…

eek
9th December 2016, 14:58
And the District Line…

Not from euston (sq) or kings cross st pancras

NickFitz
9th December 2016, 14:59
Not from euston (sq) or kings cross st pancras

But not everybody has the good fortune to live up north :)

eek
9th December 2016, 15:05
But not everybody has the good fortune to live up north :)

Given the list of people attending I suspect that Leeds would have been easier for 80% of the people going

NickFitz
9th December 2016, 15:11
On the train :banana:

Scruff
9th December 2016, 15:13
Sorry folks, but I'm not feeling so good. Going to miss it... Have fun and enjoy the Pies!

NickFitz
9th December 2016, 15:20

Bugger :(

Get well soon :hug: <- manly

NickFitz
9th December 2016, 15:40
Sorry folks, but I'm not feeling so good. Going to miss it... Have fun and enjoy the Pies!

Dropping like flies :rolleyes:

Also get well soon :hug: <- manly

administrator
9th December 2016, 15:52
Have I put everyone off attending? :cry2:

GWS, Scruff.

Antman
9th December 2016, 15:57
I'm on the train to that London, should make an appearance around 7 ish

NickFitz
9th December 2016, 16:02
Severe delays on Circle/Metropolitan/H&C line due to a person ill on a train. Must be one of ours :laugh

Think I'd better try Northern to Bank/Monument and District from there if it's not fixed when I arrive :)

mudskipper
9th December 2016, 16:40
Get well soon, scruff and NLUK.

At the hotel. Will head down shortly.

mudskipper
9th December 2016, 16:44

Is your room non-refundable? In case anyone is stranded?

eek
9th December 2016, 16:52
Severe delays on Circle/Metropolitan/H&C line due to a person ill on a train. Must be one of ours :laugh

Think I'd better try Northern to Bank/Monument and District from there if it's not fixed when I arrive :)

Trains are fine at farringdon

NickFitz
9th December 2016, 16:55
Lines are sorted. Walked onto platform as an H&C train drew up. Now at hotel, heading to the pub shortly :banana:

eek
9th December 2016, 17:08
At hotel

mudskipper
9th December 2016, 17:10
Lines are sorted. Walked onto platform as an H&C train drew up. Now at hotel, heading to the pub shortly :banana:

At hotel

See you both in the bar downstairs?

eek
9th December 2016, 17:11

Yep give me 5 minutes

NickFitz
9th December 2016, 17:13

On the way :)

Alias
9th December 2016, 17:24
Dining room not gallery...

mudskipper
9th December 2016, 17:45
Dining room not gallery...

WHS

Scruff
9th December 2016, 18:31
Have I put everyone off attending? :cry2:

GWS, Scruff.

I like the mystery....🙈

suityou01
9th December 2016, 18:32
WHS

WSS

Nat could you PM me the names and passwords of all my sockies, ta. I'll be needing them :D

SueEllen
9th December 2016, 18:43
Enjoy and behave yourselves.

Alias
9th December 2016, 18:57
Need more peeps...

suityou01
9th December 2016, 19:15
Need more peeps...

DaveB and MrsB are here. They shared their free hotel jelly beans, which was nice.

suityou01
9th December 2016, 19:17
http://a.dilcdn.com/bl/wp-content/uploads/sites/6/2012/08/cantina-creatures-1536x864-201224740128.jpg

Eek on the far right :D

Antman
9th December 2016, 19:47
Tô perdido aqui meu!

greenlake
9th December 2016, 20:02
Has anyone fallen over yet....?

http://i.imgur.com/inyEbK0.jpg

Alias
9th December 2016, 20:20
Joining CUK was a fall of sorts... :eyes

suityou01
9th December 2016, 20:42
Joining CUK was a fall of sorts... :eyes

Im heading before I make a total **** of myself.

Admin States his plans for fluffy bunnies only in General.

I shan't leave until I've shown him the right CUK path.

Churchill, Im campaigning hard.

DA, not so much :D

DaveB
9th December 2016, 22:24
Has anyone fallen over yet....?

http://youtu.be/sE4Dte_ILh8

administrator
9th December 2016, 23:57
Just made the last train! Wicked to have seen you again to those who I have seen before and just as wicked to have met those who I haven't seen before. Safe journey home everyone :D

NickFitz
10th December 2016, 07:53
:wave:

Well, that was fun :)

And now, the Premier Inn breakfast awaits :tongue

MarillionFan
10th December 2016, 09:22
Sorry was having to homeschool DS1 yesterday. Not up to it at the end of the day.

mudskipper
10th December 2016, 13:55
Great to see everyone again, and to meet Antman. Hope you're feeling better :hug:

NickFitz
10th December 2016, 15:16
Great to see everyone again, and to meet Antman. Hope you're feeling better :hug:

WMSS :)

Pondlife
10th December 2016, 18:17
T'was great to put some new faces to names and of course to see those I've met before again!