• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Encouraging Brexit news - Canada model

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Encouraging Brexit news - Canada model

Global trade deals will be bigger outside than in the EU, says David Davis | Politics | The Guardian

Davis also appears to be opposed to settling for a halfway house as an interim measure in which Britain joins the EEA in the same way as Norway so allowing access to the single market but on condition it retains free movement of labour and capital.

Davis wrote: “The idea that we have to fit our future into some Procrustean bed created for far smaller countries is nonsense.”

But he does state it might be negotiable saying “it does not work for the UK as it stands”. He added: “To make it viable it would need an arbitration court (not the European court of justice), a dispute resolution procedure, and a number of other institutional changes. It would be possible to design and even negotiate such a structure, but it would take much more than two years.”

EU tells Swiss no single market access if no free movement of citizens
    Read more
    Instead Davis argues the Swiss option – European Free Trade Association membership plus a host of bilateral treaties – is the best starting place. But he also acknowledges that in Switzerland problems have developed due to the EU insistence on Switzerland accepting free movement.

He says instead the best model is the Canadian Ceta deal that the EU has just struck. “It eliminates all customs duties, which the EU website excitedly describes as worth €470m (£395m) a year to EU business. A similar deal with Britain would save it five times that on cars alone. This would be a perfectly good starting point for our discussions with the commission.”
    So the Canadian model it is!

And we can see how it could work for us:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...del-next-steps

The agreement – which has yet to be ratified – promises that around 98.6% of goods traded between Canada and the EU will be free of duty, paves the way for access to public procurement between the two markets and empowers regulatory bodies to accept the standards and tests carried out in each other’s jurisdictions.
    I think we can be quietly confident of success.

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post

I think we can be quietly confident of endless doomsday scenarios as long as we continue to be duped by the Grauniad and its pessimistic nonsense.
    ftfy
    “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
      ftfy
      That and the BBC, both utter puffins.

Comment

But great news all the same!

Comment

I have this nagging suspicion OG is being sarcastic again, but I can't put my finger on anything ominous in his original post.

(haven't had time to read it very carefully though.)
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
            I have this nagging suspicion OG is being sarcastic again, but I can't put my finger on anything interesting in his original post.

ftfy

By the way....."sarcastic again"?
            “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

I have this nagging suspicion OG is being sarcastic again, but I can't put my finger on anything ominous in his original post.

(haven't had time to read it very carefully though)
              The Canada model is excellent news as it forces us to jettison our financial industry (since services are not included) and concentrate on making things.
              Real things like hat pins, widgets of all sorts, shiny metallic objects and the like, not airy fairy bollux like "services".

Comment

Instead Davis argues the Swiss option – European Free Trade Association membership plus a host of bilateral treaties – is the best starting place. But he also acknowledges that in Switzerland problems have developed due to the EU insistence on Switzerland accepting free movement.
                The EU is stamping its feet again that means Britain should obey!
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                  The EU is stamping its feet again ...
                  Are they? Cads and bounders! Time to send in the gunboats, methinks.
                  By gad, let them taste some cold steel!
                  They don't like it up them you know.

Comment

I Googled "Canada's Model" and it looks okay to me.

First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Working...
                    X