• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Corbyn pledges bus service reforms

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Corbyn pledges bus service reforms

Labour leadership contest: Jeremy Corbyn pledges bus service reforms - BBC News

The man has the right ideas to get this country going again. Bus and rail service needs serious reforms to kick start our economy. At the moment, monopoly has simply made these private companies greedy to an extent that the price of some rail tickets must be the most expensive in the world.
    Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Try posting that here chief.

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
      Labour leadership contest: Jeremy Corbyn pledges bus service reforms - BBC News

The man has the right ideas to get this country going again. Bus and rail service needs serious reforms to kick start our economy. At the moment, monopoly has simply made these private companies greedy to an extent that the price of some rail tickets must be the most expensive in the world.
      I just renewed my Annual Dublin commute train + tram season ticket. I have a 20 km journey into town and the annual cost is €1,760, which is paid out of pre-tax income for all PAYE employees, self-employed etc. Pretty good deal and I expect there are better deals to be had in continental Europe.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
        I just renewed my Annual Dublin commute train + tram season ticket. I have a 20 km journey into town and the annual cost is €1,760, which is paid out of pre-tax income for all PAYE employees, self-employed etc. Pretty good deal and I expect there are better deals to be had in continental Europe.
        My yearly ticket (also out of pre-tax income) costs 760CHF (used to be £500, now £610) and covers a wide area of North West Switzerland.

£4600 will get you a first class yearly ticket for the entire country (£2900 second class).

Public transport is extensive, regular, frequent and reliable.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
          My yearly ticket (also out of pre-tax income) costs 760CHF (used to be £500, now £610) and covers a wide area of North West Switzerland.

£4600 will get you a first class yearly ticket for the entire country (£2900 second class).

Public transport is extensive, regular, frequent and reliable.
          All services for RoI costs €4810.00, out of pre-tax income.

Public transport is reasonably extensive, frequent enough at rush hour, reliable and crowded around Dublin at peak hours.

Comment

The Swiss railway network was designed by British engineers. Another part of the reason why it is so good is that it is subsidised to encourage people not to use their cars.

My sister-in-law pays £5000 a year for Tonbridge Wells to London Bridge, for terrible, terrible service - and that's only when they're running at all. I seem to recall that all the UK railway companies/franchise holders are subsidised as well? What a shambles.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
              I have a sixteen mile round journey by train and the annual season ticket is a whisker under £500. Oh and I get free travel round the whole of the network (buses and trains) at weekends. Benefits of 'the North'.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                The Swiss railway network was designed by British engineers. Another part of the reason why it is so good is that it is subsidised to encourage people not to use their cars.

My sister-in-law pays £5000 a year for Tonbridge Wells to London Bridge, for terrible, terrible service - and that's only when they're running at all. I seem to recall that all the UK railway companies/franchise holders are subsidised as well? What a shambles.
                Tunny Wells is nice, but £5K/year!

Comment

I pay £556 per month on South West trains. As most of my work is in London even though at different clients I've fallen foul of the two year rule so that's post tax.
                  ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
                    Tunny Wells is nice, but £5K/year!
                    Thackerays restaurant and Hotel De Vin are very nice, but the traffic in Tunbridge Wells is truly terrible.
                    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Working...
                    X