• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

More n00b questions

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More n00b questions

Does anybody bother registering with agencies..?

Depends if you like gladiators or not.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I prefer to not talk to agents at all.

Radiators need bleeding whilst you are here, BTW.
      The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by Harvy View Post

Only as a formality, if they say it is a prerequisite for them to put me forward for a genuine (existent) contract
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Like adultwork, tinder etc?

Comment

It is surprising how often I get asked this very question, when permies start asking about contracting, they always seem to assume you sign up with an agency and they then source all your work for you, I think many people get this idea from temps/office angels type arrangements.

In answer to the question no you don't sign up with agencies, what you actually do is see a role they are advertising and apply, if you then secure that role you sign a B2B contract between your company/Umbrella and them to supply yourself/a person to perform that role.

In answer to your second question I have never had the same agency find me another role when the previous one finished and in fact have only had roles through the same agencies twice in 15 years but never following one another

Comment

Not as a general rule. Personal relationships with individuals who may work for many different agencies seems to be the way forward.
              His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Thanks for the info; out of interest what is your hit rate cv/interview/job if you don't mind? What job boards do you use?

Comment

Thanks for the info; out of interest what is your hit rate cv/interview/job if you don't mind? What job boards do you use?
                  150% hit rate

Threaded

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
                    150% hit rate

Threaded
                    Your're good, really good
                    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Working...
                    X