• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Posted a one star review for a van and man firm I used back in 2013, got notice of

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Posted a one star review for a van and man firm I used back in 2013, got notice of

Posted a one star review for a van and man firm I used back in 2013, got notice of complaint for Deformation of Character Act 2013 from the independent reviewing site on behalf of the van and man company !

in the written reply the Van and Many company claim that I am bogus, they've never heard of me etc which is a complete lie, I have emails from them on a BT server where I have corresponded with them using exactly the same name on the reply, they still have the same business name, same web site and same email I used to correspond with them back then.

Story goes small transit van job was needed for a PC and some books and clothes, from central London to the North on a working day, I paid £150 deposit via electronic bank transfer to them (still viewable on my online statements even), called them up on the next day informing them that the parking reservation for the van may be difficult to obtain for the agreed future date but that there should be parking space outside on the day or nearby but he wasn't having it, he said get it sorted with the Local Authority or he wasn't doing the job and he would keep the deposit, I then requested a refund as I informed him that the Local Authority couldn't guarantee a future booking date early on but he was obstinate and wouldn't budge and said that he would keep the money, so I naturally informed him over he phone that I want the job cancelled and sought an alternative removals firm. A few days later he decided to ignore my request to fully cancel the job and sent and invoice for the remainder of the money for the job and also his van registration number to book the parking space with ! I spotted this surprise email and replied back stating that we had agreed to cancel this job a day after I paid the payment for the deposit and that's the last I heard of them.

Thing is he is claiming that he's never heard of me, I am bogus etc, I'm doing quick videos of the reviews I wrote and the replies he wrote stating these allegations towards me. Now I now that £150 isn't much to a contractor etc but I don't like being screwed over. This Van and Man van is a nutter I did a search and he accused an ex-politician of putting his own rival business phone number onto the business web pages of his van and man company and it was in the local newspaper etc, also there's an old archived yelp review that mirrored his odd, stubborn behaviour with a client where a simple job was not to his liking so he just put the phone down on the potential customer abruptly etc that review got deleted but it's on the web snapshot archives, I'm sure he threatened the reviewer in a similar way.

Thing is the reviewing company is asking me for my full name, address, whether I am willing to disclose my address to the van and man company etc, or give my consent to removing the review. I obviously won't even phone the guy as I don't trust him so he's not getting my address, I'm not happy about giving my address to the independent reviewing company as a court order from the Van and man company could reveal it. There is a funny twist to this and that is that I am not a British National and have not been resident in Britain for a few years, I have no plans to go back either although I do have strong family ties there !

I'm wondering whether it's just worth letting this go and letting the review be taken off automatically and see if he tries to find me and take the fight to me (insanity !), if I do let it go he could go sucker some other poor unsuspecting client and then try and bully them with lies to stop them ever posting any negative reviews like he is doing now.

What would you do ? I was thinking of replying to the review site stating, I'm not comfortable providing you with my home address but I can provide you video evidence of the email correspondence by logging into web mail and maybe get a letter from my bank manager confirming that money had been paid to the Man and Van company. Or would you let it go ? I know time has passed but with extreme stress at the time with moving, then moving again abroad I haven't found the time to do anything, also the public independent review entries for this business have only been up 4 months to 2 years so I had no option to even post a review back then. I should have taken to small claims court back then but hindsight is a wonderful thing isn't it....
    Last edited by sbakoola; 19 August 2016, 19:57.

Just let it go, he'll get his comeuppance.

Comment

1. Show them evidence that they require, including your home address.

2. Buy a baseball bat

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        1. Show them evidence that they require, including your home address.

2. Buy a baseball bat

HTH
        3. Solicit the services of a Russian with a bag of angry squirrels.

Comment

If your abroad the van man can't touch you so give your current address. It's actually a f***** pain and expensive to sue someone abroad for defamation and if you ain't in an EU country good luck serving the papers.

The guy has clearly had tonnes of bad reviews, which he's removed by threatening people, so I would leave it on to p*ss him off as he's clearly a conning a***hole. It's a shame when you wrote the review you didn't record the fact you did so by putting a copy on your blog and various social media.

Also a video isn't that good as evidence and it's hard for people to read them get actual copies of the emails preferably with the headers.

There is another legal and cleverer route the guy can take to get rid of your review but he's clearly too stupid to use it.

Finally next time you want to slag a service of give them a lower but not the lowest rating and write the review slagging them off. I was actually contacted by a review site when I gave a bad review of a furniture store of when I did this. They asked me to change the review to which I replied "I can and I tell the full truth which will make it worse." They left me alone after that and ended up with tonnes of bad reviews before the store went bust.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
            3. Solicit the services of a Russian with a bag of angry squirrels.
            Violence is never the solution, I'm not the sort of person that places dog poo through rivals letter boxes either. I just thought with all the injustices in the world right now, I thought I could warn others of the possibility of falling into this trap of losing money. To me it's not about the money, I spend £150 on board games at the weekend on a whim for example (what an international playboy I am !); incidentally whatever happened to BoardGameGeek in this forum ? did he stop contracting ? did he buy any new board games ? that scene has exploded with some very cool stuff and socially its so much fun (better than video games folks).

Comment

Originally posted by sbakoola View Post
              Violence is never the solution, I'm not the sort of person that places dog poo through rivals letter boxes either. I just thought with all the injustices in the world right now, I thought I could warn others of the possibility of falling into this trap of losing money. To me it's not about the money, I spend £150 on board games at the weekend on a whim for example (what an international playboy I am !); incidentally whatever happened to BoardGameGeek in this forum ? did he stop contracting ? did he buy any new board games ? that scene has exploded with some very cool stuff and socially its so much fun (better than video games folks).
              You can ask his other half who also posts on here.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I once got some shoddy work done by someone on ratedpeople I did not leave a bad review as I was more worried about being robbed.

Comment

I have had no problems with man and van services london - http://www.man-van.co.uk

Comment

I've just voted this thread one star. Wonder what will happen to me.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X