• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A good workplace

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A good workplace

Some companies in the City try to entice people with the usual catchphrase "we have a better workplace". In my opinion this simply means nothing. All workplaces are sh1th0les. They don't give you anything for free and whatever benefits they give you (flexible time, no overtime, etc.), they take it back with the compound interest. Or do you really believe that the workplace can make a difference? To me what it matters is money and location. Or does anyone really believe in a "good workplace"?
    I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Yes, I think there are good workplaces, but none of them in this country.

Comment

A good workplace! Permie speak. Feck orf.

HTH

Comment

Yes there are good and bad places to work - even as a contractor
        Ive worked in both.
        Even if you object to the word "workplace" it is still somewhere you are spending 8 hours or so a day - for those of us who do support/sysadmin type roles. So the atmosphere, mode of working, and relationships with the permie staff DOES make a difference.

Comment

I think you are mostly wrong Franko.

All workplaces HAVE the potential to be crap. However when working for a helpdesk in NZ (my first real IT job) the work place was absolute sh1t, thanks to a manager more interested in surrounding himself with yes men, BUT the people I was working with were absolutely awesome...to the point years after the fact these people are still some of my best friends.

The current "financial institution" I work for is great though. Six Sigma Blackbelt training...not a problem, nehmind the cost...just go get it done!

Then again...this is a bit like agents innit. What is a great agent [workplace] for one person is the anti-christ for the next.

Mailman

Comment

I like the cafe area at Microsoft UK where they have the fussball, xbox 360's and what have you...

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by dmini
              Yes there are good and bad places to work - even as a contractor
              Ive worked in both.
              Even if you object to the word "workplace" it is still somewhere you are spending 8 hours or so a day - for those of us who do support/sysadmin type roles. So the atmosphere, mode of working, and relationships with the permie staff DOES make a difference.
              Don't blame DimPrawn too much, his brain is still waiting for Service Pack 3.

However, I agree with you that the workplace can make a difference, but most of the time is just a setup, an excuse to pay people less by giving them a few extra perks of no values. The good companies know what motivate people, including money, and they will try to work for that (but probably they won't claim that they have a "good workplace"). The issue I see is that the companies which claim that, they very likely don't have it.
              I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

I work on a modern MoD site with 4 restaurants, Ritazza cafe, shop, hairdresser, gym, tennis courts, all set in a few hundred acres of landscaped gardens with ponds and fountains, swans and ducks.

It has its own train station and it’s not in London, best place I’ve ever worked hence why I’ve hung around so long!
                Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi
                  I work on a modern MoD site with 4 restaurants, Ritazza cafe, shop, hairdresser, gym, tennis courts, all set in a few hundred acres of landscaped gardens with ponds and fountains, swans and ducks.

It has its own train station and it’s not in London, best place I’ve ever worked hence why I’ve hung around so long!

Which glasshouse is that?

Comment

Yes, most offices are broadly similar, but when you get to the extremes it makes a big difference.
                    Last place was terrible (fones 4 u, don't ask) Converted warehouse, noisy, small desks packed in long lines, ancient toilets, cheap uncomfortable seats, temperature either solar or polar. Basically the cheapest options throughout. New place has man made lakes, nice coffee areas, meeting rooms, airport style glass atria, well spaced desks, gym, sports hall. Yes you still have to work but it does make a difference.

Comment

Working...
                    X