• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Debt woes

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Debt woes

Debt woes 'weigh heavily' on young people, survey finds - BBC News

Though I would change the advice to be :-

1. Never get into debt
    2. See 1

Of course, this does not apply to a mortgage as houses always appreciate.

Trouble is debt has been normalised now and also encouraged by, among other things, student debt.
    I get up...

Comment

But you are right, ideally only mortgage debt should be acceptable, and even then it should be minimised.
      I get up...

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        Debt woes 'weigh heavily' on young people, survey finds - BBC News

Though I would change the advice to be :-

1. Never get into debt
        2. See 1

Of course, this does not apply to a mortgage as houses always appreciate.
        Houses don't always appreciate - ask anyone who was selling a house or paying for a mortgage in the 90s.

Also how are people suppose to pay for higher education if they don't take out loans? I guess you are going to pay all the tuition fees of your children?
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

On BBC Breakfast this morning they were talking about The Bank of Somebody Else's Mum and Dad - older people willing to lend money to other people's children to get them on the housing "ladder". For a return of course.

Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

University tuition fees should be free but the criteria for getting such a course should be stricter. Little Johnny getting two Es at A-Level and being allowed to get a degree in The History of the Tweenies shouldn't happen.

There needs to be a greater emphasis on work-based skilling up for those that haven't succeeded in university entry.
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
              University tuition fees should be free but the criteria for getting such a course should be stricter. Little Johnny getting two Es at A-Level and being allowed to get a degree in The History of the Tweenies shouldn't happen.

There needs to be a greater emphasis on work-based skilling up for those that haven't succeeded in university entry.
              Yep, I read this article this morning and couldn't believe the amount of debt a graduate starts their employment with: https://www.theguardian.com/educatio...th-it-students
              Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                Yep, I read this article this morning and couldn't believe the amount of debt a graduate starts their employment with: https://www.theguardian.com/educatio...th-it-students
                Hard to pay off with a crap degree. Ultimately Brown's dream of getting everyone who wants a place on a course is costing the country millions and millions every year in debt, stress, administration and so on.
                The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                  University tuition fees should be free but the criteria for getting such a course should be stricter
                  This can only be achieved by increasing tax, or by reducing drastically the number of places. Or just make certain courses free (perhaps just Physics, Maths, Chemistry, English and History); the rest can subsidise those.
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    Houses don't always appreciate - ask anyone who was selling a house or paying for a mortgage in the 90s.

Also how are people suppose to pay for higher education if they don't take out loans? I guess you are going to pay all the tuition fees of your children?
                    Anyone who bought in 1989 only had to wait until 1998 to have made their money back and 2003 to have doubled.

In London prices never went down.....

Comment

Working...
                    X