• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

logged into HMRC to do self assessment and it blocked me asking for my passport

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

logged into HMRC to do self assessment and it blocked me asking for my passport

i logged into HMRC to do self assessment and it blocked me asking for my passport details, last tax year I certainly was UK resident. I tried to log in with the same old username / password I've used for the past 7 years or so and it asked me for verification asking if I have a UK Passport, No Passport or Foreign Passport, selecting either option yields no results i.e. they cannot verify me. I've never given my passport details to HMRC and my passport expired a couple of years ago. Is this something new ?

Does this mean I have to get a new passport just to do my bloody tax return ? is there an alternative way around this besides doing a paper return ( a pain and it could get 'lost in the post' with some nice late penalties for HMRC to boot).

Have you called and asked them? Their hotlines are often quite good. I have called 3 times in last 18 months and each time they were superb.

If you send a paper return and are worried, send it registered. Though they will send you an acknowledgement letter in the post.

Comment

I had a similar problem and it was due to having two accounts. A quick call to them and it was sorted.

Sometimes it's better to call the owners of the problem rather than ask on here where there is little we can do.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        I had a similar problem and it was due to having two accountants.
        FTFY. You can only ask for advice from one....

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          FTFY. You can only ask for advice from one....
          I'd have to ask my accountant before commenting further.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
          X