• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Expenses from April 2016 - multiple short term contracts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Expenses from April 2016 - multiple short term contracts

In my semi-retired state, I am mainly going for short term gigs that get me out and about - we are talking about a few days here and there.

Trading through MyCo Ltd with gigs with multiple client Co's via multiple agents.
    Contract is whatever the agent provides - not worth getting reviewed or trying to change on these sort of gigs!

Most of the gigs are related to migrations of stuff from one box to another - I turn up, someone points to a box or a user, hands over documentation, and says get on with it.

Post April 2016, can I carry on claiming expenses from MyCo for travel to client Co and for overnight accommodation?

And for NLUK, no I haven't got an accountant and ICBA to try a search.

Originally posted by ctdctd View Post
    In my semi-retired state, I am mainly going for short term gigs that get me out and about - we are talking about a few days here and there.

Trading through MyCo Ltd with gigs with multiple client Co's via multiple agents.
    Contract is whatever the agent provides - not worth getting reviewed or trying to change on these sort of gigs!

Most of the gigs are related to migrations of stuff from one box to another - I turn up, someone points to a box or a user, hands over documentation, and says get on with it.

Post April 2016, can I carry on claiming expenses from MyCo for travel to client Co and for overnight accommodation?

And for NLUK, no I haven't got an accountant and ICBA to try a search.
    You are using your limited company and clearly not subject to IR35 so can claim full expenses...
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

The rules remain unchanged if you're outside IR35 (and it sounds like you probably are).

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
        The rules remain unchanged if you're outside IR35 (and it sounds like you probably are).
        Very much +1.
        Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
        Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Thanks all,

Yes, I guess it's the D&C bit of IR35 that HMRC could possibly question - am I directed to do a task and controlled by Client Co processes how I do it?

It won't make much difference to the HMRC tax take due to the low rate and limited days, but it helps me to keep track of business revenue and spending if I claim the business expenses!

General IR35 is not an issue as anything above my small salary goes to the pension.

Comment

Originally posted by ctdctd View Post
            Thanks all,

Yes, I guess it's the D&C bit of IR35 that HMRC could possibly question - am I directed to do a task and controlled by Client Co processes how I do it?

It won't make much difference to the HMRC tax take due to the low rate and limited days, but it helps me to keep track of business revenue and spending if I claim the business expenses!

General IR35 is not an issue as anything above my small salary goes to the pension.
            From your original post it sounds like you were told to just get on with it - i.e. you know what to do, so just do it.

Being directed to do a specific task is only D&C if the scope of your work schedule is vague and woolly.

Comment

Working...
            X