• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A genuine mistake?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A genuine mistake?

Here is the story about someone I know. Some time ago an agency (actually big and well known one) approached him with a gig, the rate was better than average, interview went very well, an offer was made. A day later agency called him and said they are so much sorry but they made a horrible mistake and the rate is actually about 15% lower then originally advertised one, "would you still agree to accept an offer?" they said.
    Is this just a genuine one off mistake or one of agents' usual dirty tricks? Did you see anything similar?

Originally posted by Criticular View Post
    Here is the story about someone I know. Some time ago an agency (actually big and well known one) approached him with a gig, the rate was better than average, interview went very well, an offer was made. A day later agency called him and said they are so much sorry but they made a horrible mistake and the rate is actually about 15% lower then originally advertised one, "would you still agree to accept an offer?" they said.
    Is this just a genuine one off mistake or one of agents' usual dirty tricks? Did you see anything similar?
    The industry standard response is that you made a horrible mistake and that your standard working day in 6 3/8 hours.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
      The industry standard response is that you made a horrible mistake and that your standard working day in 6 3/8 hours.
      Sure. But I am more interested to see whether this "mistake" happens on industrial scale or is this a genuine one off.

Comment

It's a mistake if your friend thought the advertised one was going to be the one he gets.

The rate being lower than the one on the advert is very common. It's an indication and the agent will try knock it down to line his pocket. It's part of the negotiating game.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Sure. But I am more interested to see whether this "mistake" happens on industrial scale or is this a genuine one off.
          It happens sometimes, but nobody ever knows if it's agent trying to rip you off, or client overestimated the cost etc. Or simply the agent has 2 candidates and will choose the cheaper
          Last edited by diseasex; 2 September 2016, 16:22.

Comment

Could well be a mistake then, looks like they could have advertised at the rate including commission, but, agreed you never know for sure
            The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

There is a chance it could be a mistake, but I'm sure a large percentage of the time this will be the agent trying it on. Either they are changing it trying to keep more, or it was never that high and they felt they had to agree initially to get you to go to the interview.

You've had the interview, so you know one or more people's names at the client.

"That's a shame, I'll drop john Smith an email and tell them I am unable to accept their proposed 15% rate cut".

See if that changes the agents story.

Comment

I would ask for evidence. You could jokingly saying "for all I know, you could just be trying to increase your margin". The agency can either rollover and pay, or terminate your contract. If it's a genuine mistake, they may be forced to terminate if you stick to your guns - then everyone loses. If it's a genuine mistake they should be able to demonstrate that, and if a reduction (perhaps of 10%) is acceptable to you, then the contract is saved.
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

If you do have to use the agent don't put up with this crap. 95% of the time it's the agent trying to pull a fast one.

I've dropped contracts after the interview when they tried to pull that stunt on me.

If you can get hold of the client, do so and tell them that regretfully you are unable to accept the rate cut. Then step back and see what happens.

If you don't you may well be shafted after you start by the client themselves, and what started out as a 10% rate cut ends up being a 20% cut.
                  "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                  - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Who made the mistake? If it was the client then it's between the client and the agency to sort out. If it is the agency, it's up to them to make up the shortfall from their margin. Surely?

That's assuming it genuinely was a mistake, which is probably wasn't.

Comment

Working...
                    X