• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hipped roof extension on gable end

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hipped roof extension on gable end

Put in plans for house extension I'd like to do in next few years, the extension design had a hipped roof as I feel that looks far neater than a normal gable end style one.

Chap from council has (informally) recommended we change the hipped roof to "roof design of an extension should match that of the original dwelling."

He also says: "The current roof design proposed would not be in keeping with the character of the original dwelling and would unbalance the appearance of the pair of semi detached dwellings. I would therefore advise that this is amended to a gable end roof design."

Over the road there are new build flats, directly opposite is houses but not in same design as mine then further away you have a total mix of house styles. Don't get this "unbalance appearance" thing from. The only neighbour we have (and also next to them) both have a dorma loft extension, looks awful, and certainly is not in character of original dwelling. I have two large trees that would hide most of the roof anyway.

Anyone had this issue before?

qh
    He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

That's shocking.

You live in a semi-detached house on a housing estate.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
      That's shocking.

You live in a semi-detached house on a housing estate.
      Daddy lost his country pile to due bladdy immigrants, place was demolished for a left wing social housing care trust.

I shall be writing to the daily mail about it. In great length. Whilst also checking out the showbiz section for some sideboob.

qh disgusted of tumbridge wells

Comment

Council panning teams vary & appearance is based on personal interpretation.

Get a drawing done of what they propose but be creative on angle of view etc to try to support your preference.

You can appeal a judgment but that can take time & money
        Growing old is mandatory
        Growing up is optional

Comment

Dormer loft extensions can look an eyesore but I think planning departments are less concerned about this sort of thing when it's on the back of the house and out of sight.

You can either go back to the drawing board or submit plans and hope for the best. Are you using an architect?

Comment

Planning can be very fussy when it comes to front profile. They made our neighbour change their over garage extension so it was even bigger for the same reason, despite our complaint that the original plan would be over dominating.

If you're paying an architect, they should have considered this and have a counter argument. On the bright side, it'll make your loft space bigger.

Comment

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post

Put in plans for house extension I'd like to do in next few years, the extension design had a hipped roof as I feel that looks far neater than a normal gable end style one. ...
              Won't a hipped roof add somewhat to the amount of sloping ceiling inside, because in effect an extra wedge is removed from the interior?

I'd have thought a gable end would give more useful internal space, which most potential purchasors will probably value more than exterior appearance.
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                Won't a hipped roof add somewhat to the amount of sloping ceiling inside, because in effect an extra wedge is removed from the interior?

I'd have thought a gable end would give more useful internal space, which most potential purchasors will probably value more than exterior appearance.
                agreed just submitted plans for a hip to gable end extension to

using an architect, it definitely adds to the usable floor space, plus give you more options for the staircase, as from what I understand building regs say you have to have 2.0m clear head height from the top of the last step.

Building regs also state that all internal doors have to be fire rated to provide a means of escape from the loft in the event of a fire, so there's lots of hidden costs to consider with these loft conversions

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

Nope
                  Both will be above the ceiling line

Comment

Thanks for all replies, yes using an architect and he did say they would possibly knock it back (for the hipped roof).

Understand a normal gable end extension would give me more space but the ones I've seen are like plonking a lego brick on your house it looks awful.

I have a few counter arguments so will see if I can try and push it through, it won't happen for a few years but nice to have the permission in place.

qh

Comment

Working...
                    X