• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Any drawback to Dual Nationality?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any drawback to Dual Nationality?

How many Britons are entitled to an Irish passport? - BBC News

I've always known I was entitled to an Irish passport, could get a Spanish one too if I go through the proper channels, but is there any draw back? I know it will be handy to have an EU passport still post brexit, but also regularly have SC jobs which I assume will always add a question to recertification
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Something I'd like to know the answer to too.

Need to take my B1 German test first. I'm doomed.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

IIRC, Spain doesn't recognise dual nationality. My plan is to get Irish citizenship.

Comment

Yeah, you could be half French and half Israeli.
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Irish citizenship with British means now way of using the EU Surinder Singh rule (google it).

All EU citizenships apart form Ireland as far as I know require at least five years residency in that country. Seven for Germany, twelve for Switzerland tho technically not EU....

Going over there a few times a year doesn't quality as residency either, they check your tax records....

Comment

The dual nationality is an EU law which means that if and when Brexit does occur you have decide which nationality you want to keep and drop the other one.
            Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
              could get a Spanish one too if I go through the proper channels
              Spanish Inquisition?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                Spanish Inquisition?
                No one ever expects that.

I think Stevie WB covers it: tax is probably the main hassle but, other than the US, I don't think there are many countries that have a reporting requirement or liability on the basis of citizenship - residency is the norm, so it's probably not much hassle for either of the two countries you mention.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                  The dual nationality is an EU law which means that if and when Brexit does occur you have decide which nationality you want to keep and drop the other one.
                  Incorrectamundo.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                    Incorrectamundo.
                    Kind of but not quite. I know that in Germany, if the UK leaves the EU then then any UK persons with dual nationality then have to choose as the UK would no longer be included in the EU but there might be new laws introduced, similar to those that they have for other countries not in the EU, to allow for this. Whether the UK would allow the person to keep their UK citizenship is another matter...
                    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Working...
                    X