• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone ever claimed on Travel Insurance?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We booked flights and a cabin in Finland for October half-term, and got travel insurance... back in July this was all sorted out. Flights were payed for and are non-refundable, the cabin booking no money changed hands and we just have emails confirming the booking.

This week I get an email from the guy telling me he's sold the cabin as of end of this month, and our booking is thus cancelled.

I already contacted the airline and they just say "tough, you should've paid more for cancellable tickets". Is there any point contacting our insurance or will they likely wriggle out since our booking is somewhat informal (but totally normal for how things work in Finland)?

We're looking into other places to rent but I want to explore all our options.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Just claim - my experience has been that they just pay up. If that fails, claim from your credit card.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Our travel insurance offers €7.5k for "Cancellation and Curtailment", which I'd use in your case.

If your insurance is £40-80 or a bonus of your bank account I'd not hold my breath. Spent £340 for our annual premium and so far it's paid out when we've needed it. Although it took them long enough.
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Every time I go away. I've paid for it so I might as well use it.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
          Just claim - my experience has been that they just pay up. If that fails, claim from your credit card.
          Why would my credit card pay for flights when a separate accommodation booking has gone titsup?

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            Why would my credit card pay for flights when a separate accommodation booking has gone titsup?
            Some credit cards have travel insurance built in. Mine does. It also covers hire vehicle excess, which is nice.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

have you read your insurance schedule, what does it say about cancellations?

Not really sure what you will be able to claim for, you haven't suffered any loss the flights are not linked to the accommodation and you say you had not paid upfront for accommodation so no loss.

Having said that I would probably put in a claim to the credit card company for the flights see what they say.

Comment

I haven't suffered a loss but turning up in a foreign country with nowhere to stay isn't ideal. If you booked a holiday for the specific place you'd be staying, just finding some other place to stay mightn't be the same at all - and of course you might have to pay much more to book somewhere else so much nearer the holiday dates.

I'll have to check if I used a CC or not, since the airline in question charges quite high fees for them it might have gone on the debit card.

Comment

They always should pay (airport) taxes back even if your ticket was non refundable

Comment

Credit card companies do make it as difficult as possible to claim through them - CapitalOne a particular nightmare...

Comment

Working...
                    X