PDA

View Full Version : apple upgrade plan

diseasex
8th September 2016, 10:23
Anyone going for it? Pretty decent offer, You get applecare+ and new phone every year @ 0% APR.
Iphone 7 plus 128gb resolves around 500 a year.

iPhone Upgrade Programme - Apple (UK) (http://www.apple.com/uk/shop/iphone/iphone-upgrade-program)

Pherlopolus
8th September 2016, 10:49
Hope you get unlimited data and calls with that :eek

I bought a phone, tablet and sims for both for 12 months and it came to less than £500

eek
8th September 2016, 10:54
Hope you get unlimited data and calls with that :eek

I bought a phone, tablet and sims for both for 12 months and it came to less than £500

Nope but you do have insurance for 2 cases of accidental damage (worth probably £100 each) as well as priority repairs from memory..

I think I will stick to my usual approach of waiting a while and if I still want one buying one off ebay in December when they are £200 or so less...

Pherlopolus
8th September 2016, 10:56
mmm, I guess I am not in the target market, my last phone cost £65 and I will just buy a new one if it breaks, maybe bump it to £120 if the Finance Director is feeling generous

diseasex
8th September 2016, 11:00
Nope but you do have insurance for 2 cases of accidental damage (worth probably £100 each) as well as priority repairs from memory..

I think I will stick to my usual approach of waiting a while and if I still want one buying one off ebay in December when they are £200 or so less...

Yep, thats what I was doing for last 5 years, but now I'm thinking - I'm using phone every single day for most of the day so I might as well have the newest one every year fully insUred hassle free withou case even. Suits me

oracleslave
8th September 2016, 11:00
Apple always seem to solve problems people didn't know they had, creating markets / demand for things that were never there. Quite astonishing how consumer behavior reacts to this approach.

MrMarkyMark
8th September 2016, 11:03
Apple always seem to solve problems people didn't know they had, creating markets / demand for things that were never there. Quite astonishing how consumer behavior reacts to this approach.

Exactly, in a nutshell.

:facepalm:

northernladuk
8th September 2016, 11:03
Yep, thats what I was doing for last 5 years, but now I'm thinking - I'm using phone every single day for most of the day so I might as well have the newest one every year fully insUred hassle free withou case even. Suits me

Isn't using an Apple without a case just asking for trouble? I don't think your requirements really match up with your solution.. Sounds like your standard fanboi excuse to me.

suityou01
8th September 2016, 11:06

I'm going for a Samsung Galaxy as they come with a built in walrus cleaner.

diseasex
Isn't using an Apple without a case just asking for trouble? I don't think your requirements really match up with your solution.. Sounds like your standard fanboi excuse to me.

Learn about the offer and write again anti-fanboi

bobspud
anyone know if you have to give the old one back when you upgrade? if not its a good deal as you can stick it on the business and then recycle the phones through the family each year

MrMarkyMark
8th September 2016, 11:07

Fook me, for "only" £500 a year with no phone plan.

He should look in the mirror to check he hasn't got "MUG" tattooed on his forehead :suicide:

diseasex
8th September 2016, 11:21
Fook me, for "only" £500 a year with no phone plan.

He should look in the mirror to check he hasn't got "MUG" tattooed on his forehead :suicide:

Jesus you're such a kid.

It's 37£ For 7plus a month for 12 months then you hand your phone back and take another for 12 months

bobspud
8th September 2016, 11:41
Jesus you're such a kid.

It's 37£ For 7plus a month for 12 months then you hand your phone back and take another for 12 months

Then its not really worth it. I doubt many contractors will have a cash flow issue if they buy the phone up front. and then at least they get to give that phone to other family members when they fancy a new one.

MrMarkyMark
8th September 2016, 11:42
Jesus you're such a kid.

Where is my ref to £500 per year without phone plan incorrect, then?

128GB £38.45/mo.

£49 upfront payment required

£510.40

d000hg
8th September 2016, 11:46
Anew phone every year even if they haven't released a new model?

Cost aside isn't that horrendous from an environmental (or just plain common sense) perspective... or will you be able to sign up at a cheaper rate to get a "new" 1-year old phone every year?!

Platypus
8th September 2016, 11:55
It turns out to be a credit agreement (interest free loan) from Barclays which I don't feel is attractive.

I think I'll stick with my plan of buy the phone, make it last 2 years, recycle to family then buy a new one.

But I have to say, it's not untempting.

diseasex
8th September 2016, 11:56
Then its not really worth it. I doubt many contractors will have a cash flow issue if they buy the phone up front. and then at least they get to give that phone to other family members when they fancy a new one.

It's not worth it the same as car leasing is not worth it and yet people buy them.And yet people take 50£ a month 2 year contract with carriers. How much do you pay for your phone contract?

As with everything it's worth considering. Might be a good life quality upgrade for people that use their phones often

I'm far from advertising that though.

original PM
8th September 2016, 12:17
Some interesting thoughts! (http://www.technightowl.com/2016/09/the-anti-iphone-chatter-continues/)

diseasex
8th September 2016, 12:43
Some interesting thoughts! (http://www.technightowl.com/2016/09/the-anti-iphone-chatter-continues/)

Lack of jack is major problem for me. Being music guy I have sennheiser momentum and now what? How can I charge and listen at the same time when the phone can't survive a day at work without charging....

TheCyclingProgrammer
8th September 2016, 13:10
Doesn't seem to be available to businesses and unless you upgrade annually it's really just an interest free credit agreement. My business doesn't need the credit. ;)

As I tend to give my old phone to the company secretary after upgrading (every two years) I'm not that interested in annual upgrades.

diseasex
8th September 2016, 13:11
Doesn't seem to be available to businesses and unless you upgrade annually it's really just an interest free credit agreement. My business doesn't need the credit. ;)

That said, I wouldn't see any incentive to buy it with cash now. 0% over 2 years is far better and cheaper...

TheCyclingProgrammer
8th September 2016, 13:13
That said, I wouldn't see any incentive to buy it with cash now. 0% over 2 years is far better and cheaper...

How is it far better and cheaper? The price is the same but spread over 20 months.

MrMarkyMark
8th September 2016, 13:16
How is it far better and cheaper? The price is the same but spread over 20 months.

You will have to excuse the OP, he's not the sharpest tool in CUKs box :talk:

diseasex
8th September 2016, 13:45
You will have to excuse the OP, he's not the sharpest tool in CUKs box :talk:

Haha I would explain why paying £700 over 2 years at 0% is better than paying it outright but you wouldn't understand it you cretin. You just went full retard.

eek
8th September 2016, 13:46
It turns out to be a credit agreement (interest free loan) from Barclays which I don't feel is attractive.

I think I'll stick with my plan of buy the phone, make it last 2 years, recycle to family then buy a new one.

But I have to say, it's not untempting.

When I looked at it its a good deal if you really want to upgrade to the new model early every year.

Then come next September you have 3 options:-

1) Keep the current phone don't buy the new one
2) Where the amount still owed is £400 and the phone can be sold for £410 or so plus keep the old phone and sell it on the second hand market and do with you want with it.
3) Where the amount owed is more than the phone is worth just hand it back and start afresh....

Personally I avoid some of the depreciating by buying second hand 3-4 months in when they start to be about 25% off the retail price. I think that keeps my depreciation down to £240-300 rather than £500 a year.

MrMarkyMark
8th September 2016, 13:52
Haha I would explain why paying £700 over 2 years at 0% is better than paying it outright but you wouldn't understand it you cretin. You just went full retard.

Of course you lose the opportunity cost of making money with your money, in your pocket. However that is also a risk of the money, investments can go down, as well as up.

You suggested it was "far better and cheaper", considering that statement, in its purest form, that is certainly not the case.

You really are thick as hardcore concrete :laugh

diseasex
8th September 2016, 13:57
Of course you lose the opportunity cost of making money with your money, in your pocket. However that is also a risk of the money, investments can go down, as well as up.

You suggested it was "far better and cheaper", considering that statement, in its purest form, that is certainly not the case.

You really are thick as hardcore concrete :laugh
Still doesn't get it :laugh dumbass.

I'm tired arguing with this idiot.

Old Greg
8th September 2016, 14:05
Still doesn't get it :laugh dumbass.

I'm tired arguing with this idiot.

I'm going to help you out here, not around this specific debate but in general terms. There are a lot of cretins on CUK. And then there are the elite uber-cretins. You are one of the uber-cretins, in the same category of GB9 and shauny (although I'll be the first to say I appreciate shauny's sunny disposition). So next time you think someone else is an idiot, the likelihood is that you are the one being idiotic. However, you will lack the intelligence to work this out for yourself, so I'm simply helping you out here by explaining.

diseasex
8th September 2016, 14:13
I'm going to help you out here, not around this specific debate but in general terms. There are a lot of cretins on CUK. And then there are the elite uber-cretins. You are one of the uber-cretins, in the same category of GB9 and shauny (although I'll be the first to say I appreciate shauny's sunny disposition). So next time you think someone else is an idiot, the likelihood is that you are the one being idiotic. However, you will lack the intelligence to work this out for yourself, so I'm simply helping you out here by explaining.

To be honest , your opinion means jack tulip to me. I didn't spend a minute talking to you before and I'm not intending to do it in the future.
I don't even hate this markymark idiot. I just facepalm each time he writes some offensive post to me, it's just boring just as this forum.
When I came here I expected some intelligent educated people and all I'm facing is constantly explaining simple facts and figures and other stuff nobody here even try to understand!

You contractors get it easy and might be rich but you'll be so far behind me in few years.

Old Greg
8th September 2016, 14:14
To be honest , your opinion means jack tulip to me. I didn't spend a minute talking to you before and I'm not intending to do it in the future.

FFS, I was only trying to help.

sasguru
8th September 2016, 14:22
You contractors get it easy and might be rich but you'll be so far behind me in few years.

In what way? Financially, culturally, socially?

diseasex
8th September 2016, 14:23

Doesn't matter, you get only hate on this forum and i'm done with it. Cya

MrMarkyMark
8th September 2016, 14:24
So next time you think someone else is an idiot, the likelihood is that you are the one being idiotic.

So, pretty self explanatory, then :smokin

you cretin.

You just went full retard

dumbass.

this idiot.

LondonManc
8th September 2016, 14:24
Paying £500 per year for a phone without a contract is a lot. Typically phones are tied to a two year contract. Great, you're getting a brand new one each of the two years, but you're essentially lumbering yourself with a £1000 hardware bill and no call time/data rather than picking up a decent phone for £300 and a simfree deal for £20/month.

MrMarkyMark
8th September 2016, 14:26

Please read my post above, I have never felt so feckin' hated :laugh

sasguru
8th September 2016, 14:27
:wave::wave:
Don't let the door hit your arse on the way out.

Old Greg
8th September 2016, 14:29

That was easy.

WTFH
8th September 2016, 14:32
That was easy.

You should be a mod...

sasguru
8th September 2016, 14:32
That was easy.

No sport in it at all.

MrMarkyMark
8th September 2016, 14:33

:wave::wave::wave::wave::wave::wave::wave::wave::w ave::wave::wave::wave::wave::wave::wave::wave::wav e::wave::wave::wave::wave:

:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::b anana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::ban ana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banan a::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana: :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

:yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay: :yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay: :yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay:

Old Greg
8th September 2016, 14:34
You should be a mod...

Do you get the ability to ban yourself? If so, I'm in.

ChimpMaster
8th September 2016, 14:35
Wow that was quite a leap of faith going from page 1 straight to page 5, but well worth the Eastenders style drama twist.

Old Greg
8th September 2016, 14:37
Wow that was quite a leap of faith going from page 1 straight to page 5, but well worth the Eastenders style drama twist.

http://i2.cdnds.net/14/25/618x927/week-24-phil-2.jpg

MrMarkyMark
8th September 2016, 14:37

Some people get very emotional when Apple are involved :D

missinggreenfields
8th September 2016, 14:39

Shut it, you slaaaaaaaaaaaaaaag!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bb_Pfgu-wg

ChimpMaster
8th September 2016, 14:42

You're not wrong there.

Now if Android phone manufacturers came up with a 'migration' offer to get all of those uneducated iPhone users onto the better tech Android phones - that would be a market-changing move.

ChimpMaster
8th September 2016, 14:43

He will be a billionaire soon: he is investing in property.

TheCyclingProgrammer
8th September 2016, 16:38

He's banned now, but I thought I'd respond anyway...the model I had in mind was £699. I don't generally invest company money and my business saver pays a paltry amount of interest, it would likely make less interest than it would *cost* me in petrol to drive to the nearest Apple Store (40 miles away) to sign up for an upgrade plan.

Not having to visit Lakeside (you can't sign up for the upgrade plan online) is enough motivation for me not to bother.

MrMarkyMark
8th September 2016, 16:44
He's banned now, but I thought I'd respond anyway...the model I had in mind was £699. I don't generally invest company money and my business saver pays a paltry amount of interest, it would likely make less interest than it would *cost* me in petrol to drive to the nearest Apple Store (40 miles away) to sign up for an upgrade plan.

Not having to visit Lakeside (you can't sign up for the upgrade plan online) is enough motivation for me not to bother.

Yes indeed, as we get older and hopefully a little wiser, costs become a hell of s lot more than just about money :smile

d000hg
8th September 2016, 17:23
Paying £500 per year for a phone without a contract is a lot. Typically phones are tied to a two year contract. Great, you're getting a brand new one each of the two years, but you're essentially lumbering yourself with a £1000 hardware bill and no call time/data rather than picking up a decent phone for £300 and a simfree deal for £20/month.

Interestingly (well not really) O2 have a similar model already where they separate the contract from the phone cost. You pay for both separately and can refresh your phone at any point.

I just think that iPhones hold their value so well that if you bought one each year and sold it a year later, you'd be paying WAY less than £500.

TheCyclingProgrammer
8th September 2016, 17:30
It's a fair point about resale value. My wife will be getting my iPhone 6 which means I can either keep her old iPhone 5 as a testing device or sell it - I can currently get £90 for it (although I need to account for VAT on that (still £76 though).