• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Grammar schools

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grammar schools

Good idea or bad?

Grammar school plans 'not a return to past' - BBC News

Good, but should be badged as something else or there will always be a confusion with the fee-paying grammar schools. There should also be the provision for those that aren't particularly academic to get into trades earlier in life. Get them doing Maths and English to GCSE level while placing more focus on a vocational set of study.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

The closest secondary school to my house is grammar school, but a non-fee paying one.

Be nice to send my two there but wouldn't want to come across as pushy parent with forcing them to do the 11 plus.

qh
      He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Will entry into said grammar schools be based on children's ability or parents' ability to pay for private coaching?

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
          Will entry into said grammar schools be based on children's ability or parents' ability to pay for private coaching?
          Probably a bit of both. Grammars seem to be disliked by those who didn't get in, or those that did and then didn't fit in. Conversely, secondary moderns/comprehensives are disliked by those that had to put up with them.

Comment

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
            The closest secondary school to my house is grammar school, but a non-fee paying one.

Be nice to send my two there but wouldn't want to come across as pushy parent with forcing them to do the 11 plus.

qh
            There's a difference between pushy and wanting to do the best for your kids. Sending them to any grammar school isn't pushy; tutoring them to death when they're not good enough to get there without the tutoring is pushy.
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
              There's a difference between pushy and wanting to do the best for your kids. Sending them to any grammar school isn't pushy; tutoring them to death when they're not good enough to get there without the tutoring is pushy.
              The question is: are they good enough to get in without tutoring when competing against kids tutored to death?

Comment

The question is: are they good enough to get in without tutoring when competing against kids tutored to death?
                That's not the question at all. If other parents want to tutor their kids to death to get in, so be it. Both our kids had the choice of two or three high schools. We took them both around three and they chose different ones, both for different reasons.
                Last edited by LondonManc; 8 September 2016, 13:03.

Comment

I'm sure some don't make it when they should compared to those kids who are tutored to with an inch of their lives. You'd hope that if this were the case they'd still do well.

Comment

Parents should have choice.

Comment

Working...
                    X