• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Air China magazine apologises for London race slur

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not sure what the fuss is about. I'd not feel super comfortable wondering the streets of London alone at night compared to Munich, say.

Feature on Air China's warnings to visitors to LondonHaze Fan, CNBC
    The comments were made in Air China's monthly in-flight magazine
    The publisher of an Air China in-flight magazine has apologised after the airline became embroiled in a race row.

The magazine warned passengers to take "precautions" when visiting parts of London mainly populated by "Indians, Pakistanis and black people".

It was distributed on Air China flights in September.

Air China Media, which publishes the Wings of China magazine, said it wished to apologise to "readers and passengers who are feeling uncomfortable".

It added: "This inappropriate description... was purely a work mistake by the editors and it's not the magazine's views.

"We will immediately recall this entire issue of magazines and draw lessons from this incident."

Air China's in-flight magazine
    Haze Fan, CNBC
    The airline operates two flights per day from Beijing to London Heathrow
    The offending magazine article was noticed by Beijing-based producer Haze Fan, from US news channel CNBC.

It said: "London is generally a safe place to travel, however precautions are needed when entering areas mainly populated by Indians, Pakistanis and black people."

It added: "We advise tourists not to go out alone at night, and females always to be accompanied by another person when travelling."

Air China said it had immediately removed the magazine from all its flights and demanded Wings of China completes a thorough check on future content to avoid similar problems.
    Source: Air China magazine apologises for London race slur - BBC News

London murder map

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    We should be able to plot MF's exact residence from that.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
      We should be able to plot MF's exact residence from that.
      DORKing?
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        DORKing?
        Whereas you and the missus currently reside at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gropecunt_Lane

Comment

Whereas you and the missus currently reside at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gropecunt_Lane
          Gropecunt, the earliest known use of which is in about 1230, appears to have been derived as a compound of the words grope and ***t.
          Genius!!!
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Not sure what the fuss is about. I'd not feel super comfortable wondering the streets of London alone at night compared to Munich, say.
            That map does contain murders back to the 1970s, but I'm with you about feeling safe in London (or not). Ironically, I always felt safer in Belfast than I ever did in London.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
              That map does contain murders back to the 1970s, but I'm with you about feeling safe in London (or not). Ironically, I always felt safer in Belfast than I ever did in London.
              Likewise in Glasgow. You know how to spot trouble or avoid it a mile off, never random like London.
              "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Likewise in Glasgow. You know how to spot trouble or avoid it a mile off, never random like London.
                That's it. Any trouble I've seen/dodged has been random in London. In Belfast you'd normally get told of f*** off first. That, and they'd kindly paint the curb stones and put up flags. This is post Good Friday agreement though.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
                  That's it. Any trouble I've seen/dodged has been random in London. In Belfast you'd normally get told of f*** off first. That, and they'd kindly paint the curb stones and put up flags. This is post Good Friday agreement though.
                  Maybe it's what you're used to. When I lived in London I found it a very safe place and most violence seemed to be between criminals who had had a business misunderstanding. When I moved to Manchester, I was astonished by the random Saturday night carnage in the street - bottlings etc. Never saw any of that in London.

Comment

Maybe it's what you're used to. When I lived in London I found it a very safe place and most violence seemed to be between criminals who had had a business misunderstanding. When I moved to Manchester, I was astonished by the random Saturday night carnage in the street - bottlings etc. Never saw any of that in London.
                    I'm probably speaking more about the London suburbs, but you've got a point. When you're not from a place there's always a sense of detachment.

Comment

Working...
                    X