• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Accommodation change - what is acceptable receipting wise?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Accommodation change - what is acceptable receipting wise?

Hey everyone

Hope it's a simple one. I'm currently staying in a hotel during the week in London for my contract. I'm looking to rent a room in a friends house to help us both out. It's a little extra cash for her, and cheaper for my limited company. Is this a legitimate expense? What kind of receipt do I need from her? A handwritten note? Proof of a regular standing order? She isn't formally renting (I would only be staying there 4 nights a week) and I have my mortgage back home. Could I give her the £25 per night and just have that as my allowance?

Hope I've explained this right.
    Thanks

Originally posted by Nitro View Post
    Hey everyone

Hope it's a simple one. I'm currently staying in a hotel during the week in London for my contract. I'm looking to rent a room in a friends house to help us both out. It's a little extra cash for her, and cheaper for my limited company. Is this a legitimate expense? What kind of receipt do I need from her? A handwritten note? Proof of a regular standing order? She isn't formally renting (I would only be staying there 4 nights a week) and I have my mortgage back home. Could I give her the £25 per night and just have that as my allowance?

Hope I've explained this right.
    Thanks
    In my NHS employee days, I knew colleagues who would do this and their host would buy a receipt book and hand write receipts. I imagine this would do for tax purposes but ask your accountant.

Comment

I'd say you are going to be benefiting personally pretty regularly so BIK will apply
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

She can either:
        1. Find a formal lodger agreement online, address it to your limit company and state you cannot stay weekends without paying extra.
        2. She can get a receipt book
        3. Do 1 and 2

She can then charge whatever she likes and charge it to your company account.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          She can either:
          1. Find a formal lodger agreement online, address it to your limit company and state you cannot stay weekends without paying extra.
          3. Do 1 and 2

She doesn't need to get a formal agreement for renting to friends and family. Bit over the top that.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            She doesn't need to get a formal agreement for renting to friends and family. Bit over the top that.
            Looks less dodgy if someone decides to go through your paperwork as years ago HMRC abolished the amount you could give to family and friends for staying with them.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              She can either:
              3. Do 1 and 2

I like this, very simple I guess.

But what about the tax implications for her personally? I know it's nothing to do with me, but since she's a friend I naturally don't want her losing out.

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              I'd say you are going to be benefiting personally pretty regularly so BIK will apply
              With any luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Nitro View Post
                I like this, very simple I guess.

But what about the tax implications for her personally? I know it's nothing to do with me, but since she's a friend I naturally don't want her losing out.

With any luck!
                See https://www.gov.uk/government/public...-a-room-relief The maximum relief now is £7500
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

If it is rented to an individual relief under rent a room scheme. If it is rented to a company this doesn't apply.

Comment

Shouldn't come to £7,500 a year, so that's good.

Account got back to me and said she just needs to give handwritten receipts. Winner.

Comment

Working...
                    X